Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

SD card not full but says full

I have a Hero 5 black with a 64GB SanDisk Extreme. The camera says the disk is full and it won't take pics or video as a result. but when I go to look at media, the disk is empty.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: SD card not full but says full

Hello @jadel62

Try formatting the SD card in your computer. You can refer to this link for guide on how to do it. 

You might also want to perform a manual update on your camera just to make sure you have the latest firmware on it. Here is how to do it: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/Software-Update-Instructions-for-HERO5-Cameras. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks so much! Just saying to anyone that doesnt believe him it actually worked for me. Thank you so much!!!

@justinw681 wrote:

Empty your trash/recycle bin while the disk is inserted in your computer or Mac. I assume because it is in the bin and not permanently deleted your card will still be full. Crazy but worked for me.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

We need more info, are you looking at the media on the camera, on a computer via the camera or an sad card reader on a computer?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Empty your trash/recycle bin while the disk is inserted in your computer or Mac. I assume because it is in the bin and not permanently deleted your card will still be full. Crazy but worked for me.

Highlighted
Sightseer

the card is in the camera. i am looking for the media in the camera. there was images on the card but i deleted them. still when i press the button to take a picture a red bar comes up and says the disk is full and i can't take a picture.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I understand. I had the same issue while trying to record yesterday. Did you delete the media on the camera or on a PC? You have to permanently delete the media from the trash/recycle bi. Even though it appears empty it will still say full. Like I said it sounds stupid but it works. If you type your issue into Google there is a video one the first page that will explain it better.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Did you get this issue resolved? I have the same problem and seems that happens when the camera gets hot, very hot! and it freezes
Highlighted
Sightseer

thank you! that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of, but i guess it makes sense. much appreciated!

Highlighted
Sightseer

I had that same issue. Emptying the trash cleared the SD card as mentioned.

Anyone offer help in keeping my camera from taking pictures while using video? Looking at settings and even turning off camera, it still seems to awlays want to take a photo every 5,10,30 seconds and can't seem to turn it off even hitting the setting that says "turn camera off". Whats with that? Thanks for any instructions!!!