Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

SD card error

[ New ]
My hero 9 refuses to format any SD cards. I did a hard format on the computer, I did a quick format on the computer, I’ve tried letting it format on GoPro it’s self for 12hrs+ multiple nights but nothing is working. I’m using 3 different cards (all on the approved list) and the only card that’s working and I’m afraid to format is the small 32g that came with it. The other two cards write/read perfectly in my 5k 360 camera so I know there shouldn’t be an issue with the GoPro. Is there any other fix’s for this? I would like to be able to take more than 35 min of clips.
Nomad

Re: SD card error

[ New ]

What are the other two SD Cards you are using?  Brand, make and size?

Highlighted
Tourist

[ New ]
The two other cards I’m using are:
-Samsung EVO Plus UHS-1 128GB
-Samsung EVO Plus (UHS-1 U3) 256GB

They format in less than ten seconds on my other cameras but will not format on the GoPro at all.
Nomad

[ New ]

Ok, that is strange.  I also use the Samsung Evo Plus cards and haven't had this issue, mind you, I'm only using the 128GB cards.

They are good cards but I have to admit, I have had failures over the years, so not sure of their overall reliability.

I've read that some people have had issues formatting larger cards in their camera's (I myself haven't experienced this).  I'm wondering if it's a formatting issue.  Some pc's and programs will do a format on the card, but insist on making a small "boot" section on the card (that's not needed) and I'm wondering if the GoPro has an issue with this and cannot format the card fully as a result (your GoPro only performs a quick format, so even on a 128GB card, it should be finished in a few seconds).

Have you tried running a chkdisc command in your PC on the card?  Sometimes bad blocks won't be fixed until you do this step (instead the format says "ignore this bad block" and the GoPro doesn't recognize that indicator and can end up as seeing the card as corrupt).

Tourist

[ New ]
I just ran one and still not seeing any issues with the cards so I’m still stumped, thanks for the idea though.