Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

SD Card error

Hey so I just bought the hero 7 black and loving it so far but it has started to come up with error in the sd card icon part and stops recording, when i try again it says format card, i don't do that cause i know footage will be lost but i just take the xard card out and put it back in and it repairs the card and the files, but it will happen again, what do i do? Is it the camera, sd card idk, would love help
Tourist

Re: SD Card error

Same has been happening to me, but from my experiments it appears it's not a fault with the card, rather the make of battery.

I've noticed that I have many faults (SD card error, screen freezing, recording stopping after around 9 minutes) when I am using my GP Hero 7 Black with an Amperex battery. I have also had issues with it not charging to 100% when charging in camera. 

However having noticed discussions on other threads talking about battery issues, it appears that GoPro use 2 different manufacturers - Amperex, China and Samsung, Vietnam.

I noticed when I was having these faults I was using the Amperex battery, and luckily I have a spare battery, which fortunately is a Samsung one. This morning I did a back-to-back experiement with both batteries - first starting with the Amperex and Lo-and-behold I started seeing SD errors. I started to record and sure enough, after just over 9 minutes it stopped recording for no apparent reason. I then switched over to the Samsung battery and surprise surprise I get no SD errors, and recorded a 15 minute video, with not even a hint of an issue.

Can you check the manufacturer of your battery? If it's Amperex, do you have a Samsung one you can try?

I'm not saying this is a solution, but it certainly worked for me, and I think the notion that the Amperex battery is what is causing many people's issues does hold water.

Explorer

What SD card are you using (make/model/size)?

Offload your media onto your computer or mobile device and then perform a Full (not quick) format of the card in your computer.  Once you are done, put the card back into your camera and format again.  If you continue having issues, it could be the battery like @quickcave61605 mentioned, but you really should try formatting the card before suspecting something else.  If you have another card you can try, that would also be helpful.

Tourist

Just a sandisk 34g micro, ill see if i have another card but would could i do i it is the battery
Explorer

SanDisk Ultra? SanDisk Extreme?

This doesn't sound like a battery issue. Make sure you are using a card from this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

If you are, try a different card if formatting doesn't work. If that doesn't work, then perhaps it's the battery. You wouldn't really be able to test it, just get a new one.
Nomad

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Formatting you card wont work.

Let me give you the simple answer that doesn't involve useless steps. You need the Extreme version of the Sandisk card. Ultra or lower speeds wont work.

Regards.