Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

SD Card (Samsung Evo Plus 256GB) Media Can not be seen

[ New ]

I have a Samsung Evo Plus 256 GB micro sd card (recommended by GoPro itself https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations)

It happens that the media, which has been recorded, is not viewable, neither via the camera or any app.

Anyone has any idea?

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: SD Card (Samsung Evo Plus 256GB) Media Can not be seen

[ New ]
It turned out that the Samsung SD card was a fake one and therefore the speed of writing and reading stuff was way much too slow

View solution in original post

Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry @mariustanya ,I totally forgot to answer to your question.

I figured out that the card only had 2-5MB/s of writing speed and the side of the card was black instead of white and on the back of th card was written "AOBY1708TCN" and "Made in Taiwan" as described in a post (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/SSD-Monitore-IT/microSD-Karte-EVO-Original-oder-Fake/td-p/395817).

With a card of better write and read speed the save and watching of (long) videos is no problem

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

Did you format the card in your camera before using it?

When you remove the card from the camera and put it in the PC, are files being listed in the file explorer?

Can you post a screen shot of said file explorer.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes I formatted th sd card via the GoPro itself (settings => reset => format sd card)

Example:

1. Took a picture => can be watched

2. Short video (10 seconds) with 4K 60 FPP => can be watched

3. TimeWrap video (ca 30 seconds) with 2,K 5x => Not Visible

The screenshot gives you an insihgt into all existing folders and files in the DCIM folder structure.

The image (GX010041) and first video (GOPR0040) can be watched, the second video (GH010042) ist not watchable either.

Thanks

GoProFehlerKeineMedien.png
Nomad

[ New ]

Ok, so two things to try.

1:  Download VLC player and see if you can open up the non viewable files with that.

2:  The non viewable file, upload it to youtube and then see if you can view it.

If option 1 or 2 works, then most likely it's your PC that's at fault.  It may be that the clip was recorded as a HEVC file and that your PC doesn't have the codec installed.  So see what happens with the above two options and we can go from there.

Hiker

[ New ]
But why is it not even possible to watch the videos on the Gopros itself?
This should be possible independent from the video format
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @annabellb81368. It is indeed odd for the videos to not playback through the camera. What do you get on the screen when the TimeWrap video is selected? Does the file itself show a thumbnail on the camera? 

If you haven't done it yet, try a manual update. The steps under Manual Update here will guide you through it. After the update, reset the camera. In the process of updating though, you will have to use a formatted SD card. If accessible, use a different card for the update or save all of the files that you currently have to a different device first. 

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx I tried to open it via VLC Player, but also doesn't work.  I also installed "HEVC-Videoerweiterungen vom Gerätehersteller" on my Windows 10 PC, but this also doesn't work.

@mariustanya The image shows you what GoPro tells me when I want to wathc the video.  I also tried to update the GoPro multiple times with all three options, but nothing worked:

Phone; Update Failed

Quick: Update Failed

Manually: Downloaded and entzipped files,copied folder UPDATE on GoPro sd card, put it back into GoPro and startet. Update didn't start

GoProViewTimeWrapVideo.png
Hiker

[ New ]
Even after a successful update to version 1.9 this sd card still has the problem that long videos can not been watched via the camera itself. A smaller sd card has no problem.
Seems to be a problem with this SASMUNG Evo Plus 256 gb sc card (although it is recommended by GoPro itself)