Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

SD Card Info Notes & Feature Request

[ Edited ]

I know one of the most common requests by Mods here is to use a recommended SD card (and manually format). I do have one question though, and one feature request.

When you format an SD card in the GoPro, it writes an sd info file into the MISC directory, so I was having a look at the contents, and it's a bit odd - the dates especially seem completely incorrect. What is this data used for?  (See bottom of post)

For a feature request into the Quik app - how about a read/write test, throughput etc., so that users can add these into posts. I know this can't cover variations such as temperature, repeatability etc., but it's another ('standard') data point which could help troubleshooting.

------

128GB Sandisk Extreme from Recommended Card list (2019)

Manufacturer ID: 0x3;

OEM/Application ID: SD;

Product Name: SN128;

Product Version: 8.0;

Product Serial Number: [redacted];

Manufacture Month/Year: 1/2003;

64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus  (2016 - came with GoPro)

Manufacturer ID: 0x3;

OEM/Application ID: SD;

Product Name: SP64G;

Product Version: 8.0;

Product Serial Number: [redacted];

Manufacture Month/Year: 7/2000;

GoPro

Re: SD Card Info Notes & Feature Request

Hello @gbbb41231. We checked with the MISC directory on SD cards here after formatting them in the camera but we are not getting the other information that you presented (such as manufacture month/year). How did you check them? For use in the GoPro cameras, we only look at the SD card brand/type/class.

Thank you for the feedback regarding Quik App. We will pass it along to the team.  

Hiker

Hi, yes, in the [root]/MISC directory, the file sd_info.txt

I'm sure it's just reporting what the SD card claims, but odd that it's wrong for two of the cards I had here. Maybe a SanDisk issue? I don't know if the camera makes any use of this camera, but it too might be useful info for troubleshooting.

On the subject of manual updates, I was wondering how the manual update is different from via the Quik app for example.

GoPro

[ Edited ]

Hi @gbbb41231

A manual update is recommended if the current update is already installed on your camera.

This re-flashes the software and corrects any issues that may have been encountered on the previous installation.

Thanks!

Ej