Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

SD Card Error- Needs Formatting. Won't format

I've recently bought a Go Pro 7 Black, but there is a problem. My Go Pro 7 says there is a SD Card error and needs formatting. When I attempt the process of formatting, the Go Pro screen says it is formatting but stays like that until the battery dies.

GoPro

Re: SD Card Error- Needs Formatting. Won't format

Hi @stephenp30063

The steps on NO SD or SD ERR on Camera's LCD should help you out

Let us know how it goes.

You may also reach out to our Support Team for assistance through
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

@stephenp30063 

I had this exact problem, but instead of waiting, I just took the battery out, turned it on again, and it was fine. It hasn't done anything wrong since.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't 

Sightseer

Hi aragon1006
I've tried the steps on "NO SD or SD ERR on Camera's LCD" to no avail. I still have the "SD Error" at the top left of my Go Pro screen. The annoying thing is that I've only had the Go Pro for a couple of weeks so it's hardly been used. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a good investment .
GoPro

@stephenp30063, what SD card are you using? Ensure that you have a recommended SD card for HERO7 Black camera. 

Were you also able to successfully format the SD card on a computer? If it also fails when formatting using your computer, you may have to check the authenticity of the SD card.

To further isolate the problem, you may try using a different SD card if you have one available.

Otherwise, if the suggestions above doesn't work and your camera is up to the most latest firmware version, there could be a potential issue with the camera's hardware reading the SD card. Please let our Support team know so they can help you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or chat.

Sightseer

The SD card is a "Sandisk Extreme 32GB" which was supplied by Go Pro when I purchased the Go Pro 7 Black, so I'm assuming that it is a recomended SD card.

I've tried using the SD card adapter which was also supplied by Go Pro to use on my laptop to format the SD card but that does'nt work either.

I'm also unable to check the latest firmware because of the formatting issue.

Nomad

If you're unable to format the card in your PC using the adapter, then it's more than likely you have a faulty SD card.   Remember, after you format the card in your PC, you must also format it again in your camera before use.

Sightseer

I've just tried inserting the SD card from my Go Pro into my mobile phone/ cell phone which says no SD Card inserted, so I'm assuming Go Pro have sent me a faulty SD Card.