Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

SD CARD 200 GB WILL NOT FORMAT on New GOPRO HERO 8 ??

I am in Dubai and stuck till middle of April. I want to make videos and post them for my students in Sweden.

I went to the Virgin Mega Store in Dubai Mall and I bought a new GoPro Hero 8. I have tried to use a SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Card 200 GB.

The GoPro does not read the disk? I have tried to format... the GoPro cant read - SD ERROR.

I am in Dubai and we are in a lock-down. I am unable to go back to Virgin Mega Store to ask for help as they are locked for 2 weeks. It is hard to find SD cards as the stores are locked down til April 7 or maybe longer and forget about ordering another SD card from Amazon as it will take also 2 weeks. Also, I am not happy to spend $ 450+ for GoPro Hero 8 and another $60 for card and have nothing working?

Please advise on what to do. Please note that I bought both the GoPro Hero 8 and the Sand Disk new and treated them gently till I got home. Is this a problem common with Go Pro Cameras in General? I have seen many blogs and chats about the issues with the SD cards.... :(  I am having buyer's remorse now.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: SD CARD 200 GB WILL NOT FORMAT on New GOPRO HERO 8 ??

Hello, @heylarry7. The SanDisk ULTRA card that you have does not work compatibly with the camera. Ultra cards are known to cause performance issues in the camera. 

There is a list of recommended SD cards at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308 for your reference.

Highlighted
Tourist

Why THANKS!...

ISSUES

Issues are that buying a SD card should not be so complex in that I would have to scan the internet to find the "right" one for GoPro. Other issues are:

(1) that I cannot go back to  Dubai Mall to return the GoPro Hero 8 to get my money back as we are on lock-down. 

(2) Another issue, is that the only stores selling SD cards are grocery stores and they have SanDisks.

(3) I bought today -  before curfew started  - another SanDisk, SanDisk Ultra microSDCX UHS-I Card with  64 GB and speed upto 100  MB/S.   This time the GoPro Hero8 will automatically start filming and when I press the on/off button on the top then it <Powers Off>.

SUMMARY

To be stated, I very dissapointed in buying GoPro and will can attest  that buying this equipment has been very stressful in that the product is expensive, does not work and is very senstive. Furthermore, why in "the hell" do you not just add a **bleep** SD card when a customer buys a camera?  I have spent $450 on the GoPro, another $60 on the SanDisk Card at 200 GB, then a SD card reader at €15 and tonight I spend another $ 30 for the SanDisk Card at 64 GB.

In a nutshell I'm spending money on the GoPro Hero8 and still I can't use it. Instead, I am forced to rely on an older Iphone 7.

ACTION

I want a reply on this : "HOW CAN I GET MY MONEY BACK". As there are no services in UAE and when calling your customer service, there is no help.  I have the receipt from March 22, 2020.

-

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @heylarry7,

You may contact the store for refund. 

If you want to contact GoPro customer support for assistance try to change your Country and Language to United States - English. 

To do that just visit this website: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Click on the globe icon on the upper right hand side then change country and language. 

Fill out the form then you should be able to contact them. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

@graytree76514 wrote:

Hi @heylarry7,

If you want to contact GoPro customer support for assistance try to change your Country and Language to United States - English. 

Click on the globe icon on the upper right hand side then change country and language. 

-Jay

@graytree76514 wrote:

Hi @heylarry7,

-Jay

Jay,

The link you sent me does not work. I have tried that several times before. I am trying to send an <email> in order to notify the support, but this is not working. I am prompted this everytime:

**If you’re a Plus customer, please be sure to use the same email on your GoPro account to ensure priority support.
  Customer Support is currently closed. Please check back during regular business hours. Please check our support hub or help articles for immediate assistance.