Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Right reference for SD card?

[ New ]

Hello, I just bought my first GoPro, the new Hero8 Black, and I want to buy some SD cards, the SanDisk Extreme Pro (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 64 and 128 GB, but I can't find the same Model references as adviced by GoPro on the website. Does it matter?

By the way, I also noticed that the SanDisk Extreme 32 GB I received from GoPro with the camera as also a different Model reference than the one listed as certified by GoPro on the website, so may be a difference in reference does not matter?...

Thanks for your help!

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Right reference for SD card?

[ New ]

The V in the V30 means that the cards have specifically been rated for Video and can achieve a CONSISTANT WRITE SPEED 30MB per second.  Gopro Hero 8 highest bitrate is 100Mb per second which is 12.5 MB per socond (there is a difference between "B" for bytes and "b" for bits).

Other methods of grading SD cards dont guarentee a constsant minimum speed, and most of the speeds given on SD cards are the read speeds which is faster than write.

In general make sure it is graded V30 (V60, V90 will work no problem as they are faster but cost alot more and that extra speed is wasted unless you have an appropriately fast sd card reader as the read speed is unuslly higher)

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @jean-marie023,

That should be fine. 

Regards,

-Jay

Nomad

[ New ]

@jean-marie023  a écrit :

SanDisk Extreme Pro (UHS-1 U3 / V30) A2 64 and 128 GB

I use them. 64 w/ Hero3, both w/ Hero4 and Hero8: work perfectly.

Tourist

[ New ]

Great! Thanks to both of you for your answers!

Hiker

[ New ]

The V in the V30 means that the cards have specifically been rated for Video and can achieve a CONSISTANT WRITE SPEED 30MB per second.  Gopro Hero 8 highest bitrate is 100Mb per second which is 12.5 MB per socond (there is a difference between "B" for bytes and "b" for bits).

Other methods of grading SD cards dont guarentee a constsant minimum speed, and most of the speeds given on SD cards are the read speeds which is faster than write.

In general make sure it is graded V30 (V60, V90 will work no problem as they are faster but cost alot more and that extra speed is wasted unless you have an appropriately fast sd card reader as the read speed is unuslly higher)

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks jay-ell, very clear explanations!

My concern in this post was that I could not find cards with the same Model numbers (SDSQXPJ-064G-ANCM3 for the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB) listed by GoPro as being compatible with their cameras. But I understand from all your answers that it doesn't matter...