Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Restore Hero 3

My Hero 3 worked great for the first few hours, then in 2012 it just stopped recording, it's on and an image comes through on my phone but nothing records. Stuck the thing in my camera bag and just got it back out today. 

Charged the battery, downloaded the latest update, installed a new 32gb card replacing the original 64gb and am now wondering what to do next?

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Restore Hero 3

Is it not recording? I know you said you did an update, but if you didn't do a manual update, give that a shot. Instructions are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero3.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Is it not recording? I know you said you did an update, but if you didn't do a manual update, give that a shot. Instructions are at https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero3.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the quick reply, I went through the process again this time taking the SD card out of the camera and inserting into my computer. Pulled the update file onto the card, put the card back into the camera and what do you know, started recording! My phone app still works a little wonky but if I'm patient, it works.

Thanks again!

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Glad it's working!

Highlighted
Tourist

Now the problem is the time it takes for an image to appear on my phone. Records for up to 15 minutes before the phone displays an image. Acts that way when I want to view too. Select to view video and the message no files to display appears, them several minutes later the files appear and can be played?
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @terryl14746. The image that is displayed that you referred to in your post - is it the image for preview or the image for playback?  Fifteen minutes is quite a long wait time.

Does your phone have enough available storage space to accommodate new media? Which phone are you using and what OS is it running on?  Make sure that your phone is updated to the latest OS and that you have the latest version of the GoPro App installed. After the updates, restart your phone, clear cache (cache only, not data) on the app settings if accessible. 

Let us know how it works out. Thanks!