Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Repost:: Dual/split screen issue on gopro hero 6 after version v01.51 bug firmware update

Any updates??

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Repost:: Dual/split screen issue on gopro hero 6 after version v01.51 bug firmware update

Funny I have had it happen twice and the strange part was it happened when I was in a place with free wifi, I woonder if it has to do with the GPS or bluetooth or it it picking up a signal form outside interference? Just asking cause I dont know besides that this camera rocks!

Highlighted
Explorer

I agree that the Hero6 Rocks but I'm not sure about the outside interference. I've only had the split screen happen once. I was filming my youngest son in a park. My camera had just taken a big tumble. I was filming in 2.7/120. I was running with the camera. Connection and GPS was on but I always have these on and didn't have it before or since.

I suspect it is caused by an error writing to the SD card. On the same day that I got the split screen my audio wasn't recording with my videos and the camera froze after 9 seconds recording in 4K/60 and 1080/240 repetitively. I switched out the card (Samsung Pro Select) for a Lexar 1000X and the camera went back to recording normally.

I've done follow up test recording with a Samsung Pro and Pro+ without issue. I switched back to the Select and the camera froze again. I put the same Select card in my Hero5 Session and it works fine. It's not just the Hero6, or GoPro cameras for that matter, that seem to be affected by these cards.

I don't know why, but some cards (not just make/model but the card itself) just don't play nice in certain devices. I have a SanDisk Extreme that causes my Hero5 Session to lock up but it works fine in my Hero5 Black and Hero3+ Black (it's current camera). I also have a Lexar 633X that I use in my Hero3 Black that works fine but locks up my Samsung Galaxy S7. However, if I use a different Lexar 633X (which is in my phone right now) it works in the Samsung but locks up my Hero3.
Highlighted
Hiker

I shot about 10 little 4k 30fps videos, and then 3 ro 4 2.7k 60 switched over to 1080 240 fps 2nd video camera went into Saving mode...notes gps was off, no bluetooth, stabiliztion on, protune on, lowlight off, gopro colorcoò
Highlighted
Explorer

Did you check to see if audio recorded?  THis sounds similar to my experience except I had all of the defaults on.

Highlighted
Backpacker

@danielr15 ....interesting tests.... I agree...despite what manufacturer advertise, even if the cards have similar specs, in practice could behave very different...I encounter this with Nikon DSLR (when shoot bursts), and GoPro

robert

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm also wondering if anyone has gotten the split screen and/or freeze on the first recording on a blank SD card, or is it more common after a few files have already been recorded. As the card fills there is extra processing that needs to be done as space needs to be found and allocated.

Additionally, on cards that have had several separate recordings it might be forcing the camera to write randomly instead of sequentially. This will also have a big impact on the write speed.

While you can delete files on the card from the camera, it is best to only do it after you are finished shooting to reduce the chances of the camera having to do a random vs sequential write. Again, this is not just for GoPro cameras. I'm not saying you can't delete files and continue recording, but my assumption is you will increase the chance of error by doing so. This is one of the reasons it's good to delete all/format after offloading the files.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ive had 6 hero 6 and did a lot of test bith firmware 1.0 to 1.51. And while slowness and some freeze issue is with the memory card, it is mostly the gopro itself who has the problem. And it is firmware 1.51. Other than split screen and freeze issues. There are lots of problems and issues this gopro has. Again it is Quality Control to blame. Thats for sure. Now for the split screen, it is the firmware now that is causing the problem. And november update is a make or break for them. As this is not an isolated case. Ive tested 6 hero 6. And bunches of memory card. Manual updates? Yeah you name it. I did it all.