Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Repost:: Dual/split screen issue on gopro hero 6 after version v01.51 bug firmware update

I don't know if I'm lucky it if it's the few people posting here that are unlucky, but since I'm active on this forum I'd actually prefer to have some of these issues so I can speak to them.
I've been using my Hero6 every day for the past week (just got home from surfing with it a few minutes ago). I'm on the latest firmware and I still haven't had a freeze or split screen. I'm extremely stoked on this camera but I'd be more than willing to share any issues if I get them.

So far I've only had the strange battery charging light not turning off and the NAN no files to import message with Quik.

I switched to a spare battery I had for my Hero5 and the charging light issue resolved so I think the issue is with the battery. I need to put the Hero6 battery into the Hero5 to verify.

The issue with Quik resolved when I reinstalled the app.

I was getting the increased grain/noise in very low light (especially if there was blue in the picture) but I have pretty much resolved it by changing my settings.

Best of luck to everyone. I think the Hero6 is an amazing camera so I hope you can all get the same experience as I am having. I let you know if anything changes.

BTW: I'm using a Samsung Pro Select 64GB card.
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Repost:: Dual/split screen issue on gopro hero 6 after version v01.51 bug firmware update

I had the same problem. My first gopro. Split screen every 3 to 4 videos recorded, then froze. Settings are 4k 30fps stabilization ON superwide, firmware 1.51.

I exchanged my gopro hero 6 for a new one. I did not update the firmware. No  single freeze so far on every mode. Im using Sandisk extreme plus 32 gb v30. Looked at the micro sd card approved by gopro and it is the only one which is marked “Y” in the chart.

I do have grain issues especially in low light. And blue tint in low light, like lights coming off from TV as a reflection or sunlight coming from the windows.

Did gopro addresed the issue if its a software or hardware glitch? For the price of the camera and accessories i bought, I expect a high end stuff that works out of the box perfectly. I searched forums and theres no clear answer from gopro except the phrase “we are working on it”. 

November update seems a very long wait for this problems to be addressed. I read some Hero 6 owners are returning theirs already. 

Highlighted
Explorer

Low light grain/noise is common for all cameras. Using a camera with a f/2.8 aperture will always make getting good noise/grain free images difficult to get. Using the proper settings helps, but I think it's also important to define what low light parameters you are working in. For example, an hour before sunset is considered low light and you can get great results with the Hero6 in this light. Two hours after sunset, well this is also "low light" but it's not going to look great. There is a difference between low light evening and low light night.

As far as the blue tint, I have noticed this as well. It's especially noticeable if there is a something that is bright blue in the picture. In normal to bright light it looks fine but as the light dims you get more of the blue artifact. I think this is due to the camera color profile which evens out blue sky. With most cameras you get a whitening of the sky anytime it is pointed near or directly toward the sun. The Hero6 does an excellent job of combating this by evening out and filling in the blown out sky with blue. While I think this looks great in daytime shots, it seems to work against the camera in low light. If you change the settings to Color Flat and set the WB or put it on Native it will look much better.

I've been using my camera pretty extensively and have yet to get the split screen or freezing. I don't know what is causing the split screen but freezing is usually SD card related.
Highlighted
Explorer

Oh, and November is only a couple weeks away.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same problem...

https://youtu.be/ImE-PvWAyIw

Highlighted
Tourist

Just brought a new gopro 6 in australia from jb hi-fi same problems split screen shaking badly, footage unusable. this is out of box with no firmware upgrade it will not even tell you what firmware is on it just says latest firmware ? I own four hero 5 cameras and it took them a long time to get them right, I have a year to return it for money back will give them two months to fix it then I will return it for another hero 5, am I doing the the right thing ? ----- who knows.
Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Yes. Made a thread today about my problem with freezing on saving and how the recording screen looks like that everytime. I format the SD when it happens and try again. Sooner or later it works. Seems like as long as my first recording does well, the rest do too. Until the next day. Only used the cameras two days, though, so nothing conclusive. Happens only on 1 camera and it takes a lot of formatting to get it worked out for a riding session. Firmware 1.51 on both cams. These are my first actioncams. Really cool at first, until now that the above happens, 1 charges poorly, 1 eats batteries while not on, Quik on Windows 10 worked only once, and the electronic stabilizer sucks mountainbiking at recording 2.7K at 60 fps. The cons are lining up. This is like a beta product at best. Seems really rushed to market.

edit: I got identical SD-cards in both cameras. Sandisk m.sdxc extr pro 128gb+a, according to the receipt.

Highlighted
Explorer

I finally got a split screen. I was using 2.7/120 stabilization off. My camera had just taken a pretty good tumble so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. It was relatively early into recording, probably the fourth or fifth video recorded. I actually didn't know about it until I got home and was reviewing the days shoot. I recorded almost a full 64GB of videos and it was only the one that had the split screen.

Apparently I'm not immune to GoPro camera issues. Still Loving this camera though.