Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Replaced Lens, Only focuses REALLY close up now - what's the deal?!

I used this camera 3 times, and the third time used a suction cup for a timelapse on my tractor. It lasted all day until I remoevd it to swap batteries, then when I stuck it back on (gave it  good wiggle to make sure) it detached when I closed the tractor door.

Camera smashed both the lens cover AND the lens. Still turned on. NO other visible damage.

I was able to buy a used GoPro lens online ($30) and a new lens cover by GoPro ($20 Amazon). I unscrewed the borken lens, screwed in the new one, and  . . . . .

blurr. (I did NOT add the lens cover)

I concluded it must have a finger print on either side, so I took it out, bought a new camera microfiber and some spray and began cleaning both sides of the lens (main lens). SCrewed it back in.

Still blurr.

I DID notice it had ZERO issue focusing on all the detail on my finger if it was right in the lens. I also noticed that the tighter I screw the lens, the better the focus got . . .though still useless as far a general shooting goes.

Everything is genuine GoPro, do I need to adjust a setting? Screw it in super duper tight, could my lens be scratched eventhough I don't see any scratches? I've turned off hyper smooth and played with the settings a bit but nothing has helped (and it DOES focus fine right up close).

Is my camera just toast from the fall? Or should I buy another lens and hope the next one does better?

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Replaced Lens, Only focuses REALLY close up now - what's the deal?!

how did you fine tune it?  did you turn on the  camera, turn on wifi, Place the camera  and start focusing?