Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Repeatable issue with external mic + external power supply (Hero 8 Black)

[ New ]
Hey one thing you mentioned (about getting a bunch of batteries) I wanted to offer up a possible solution for you. I've found that using QuickCapture setting on my other gopro is great because the camera turns on and then shuts off automatically when I stop a recording. We can't do that when using an external, unpowered mic. HOWEVER, if using a powered mic, you should be able to use quick capture. This would allow you to just start recording when needed and it would startup the camera and record, then when you stop recording, it would shut back off. I don't know about you, but for me this would save TONS of battery. I'm considering trying it. But I'd be pretty disappointed if I spent the money for a powered mic and it didn't fix the situation.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the lost opportunity for capturing the event, @seventhletter. Which card was used in the HERO8 Black? The information on the brand, type, and capacity will be helpful. If you continue to observe issues with your camera, it would be best to get in touch with our Support Team for further troubleshooting. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm using one from the approved list for the Hero 8 Black, and I reformat it with the camera before every session.

PNY Elite-X (UHS-I U3 / V30) A1 128GB

There are times that I have to remove the battery and put it back in also because the camera will not turn on.  Unfortunately, the design of the camera is such that it is a royal pain to do that.  Especially if using media mod.

Hiker

[ New ]

I do, however im just keeping it for me and my friends atm :)

I have not tried doing anything regarding to the intercoms, we are using cardo packtalks.. I looked into it some in the beginning but decided not to bother hehe :)

Hiker

[ New ]

Im recording like 1-4 hrs at a time so that would'nt help my case much sadly :)

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi again, i got a response from support basically saying it isn't gopros problem which is a dog**bleep** response in my opinion.

They dont really seem to care that much, i guess its to neiche of an issue.

I have given up trying to use their useless accessories and im probably going to resort to using external voice recording. Im not motovlogging but more just recording footage for me my friends. I want clean sound without to much wind.

Im going to try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD80yKfu_dQ

You could probably run a wire from the recorder to an external mic in your helmet aswell, This way you would get the regular onboard audio from the gopro + the external version, so if one of them fails you still have one.

Ill let you know the results of this once i got it sorted if you are interested.

How to record motorcycle engine noise without any wind noise. By using an audio recorder(Zoom H1), action camera(GoPro), foam and editing software(Adobe Prem...
Hiker

[ New ]

Well they should have at least said something like "it is not designed to work in that way and this is something that will not work".  

Instead of taking the attitude of "not our problem".

Yeah I imagine in the long run, I'll end up going with an external recorder....but man...that becomes a lot to keep up with. haha

I'm motovlogging with a 2 camera setup already, and I'm often the leader in all-day group rides, so I'm checking GPS pretty often also.   So 2 cameras, GPS and an external recorder would be even more cumbersome.  I guess it's the price to play though.

Thanks for the info!

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah its one more thing to bother with for sure hehe.
However if you want to run the external mic in the helmet i bet u could just stick the recorder in your jacket and connect the mic to that instead of the gopro adapter.
Sounds cumbersome but would probably work :)