Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Repeatable issue with external mic + external power supply (Hero 8 Black)

[ New ]

My last three motorcycle rides I've spent several hours vlogging only to find out my audio was not working each time.  I've got the Hero 8 Black, and I have tried the Media Mod as well as the GoPro external Mic adapter.

Since GoPro batteries do not last very long, I switched to using an external power bank.  It has been great for keeping the GoPro running, but I have found that there is an issue when doing this if you are trying to use an external mic. 

Here's the issue: The official word is if you want to use an external power supply, you should pull the battery and run the camera without one.  I can confirm this - it works better.  Otherwise, the camera will pull power from the battery only and will shut off once the battery is depleted.  (This is a known limitation, confirmed by GoPro, and so the answer is to run external power without the battery).  But here's the problem: I don't know if it's a firmware thing, or a limitation of hardware or something, but to use an external mic, my Hero 8 Black MUST have a battery in it.  If I don't have a battery in the camera, the camera ignores the Media Mod audio input (shows N/A in preferences). The same is true using the GoPro external mic adapter.  If running the camera from external power, the preferences show N/A for external mic.

I tested this thoroughly this evening with both Media Mod and the external adapter.  It wasn't until I put the battery in that I could use the external mic.

Is this fixable with a firmware update? (or is it a hardware limitation?)  And if it is fixable, would it get fixed? or is the Hero 8 no longer receiving firmware updates?

I'm on the latest firmware available for my camera.

Thanks for any insight you have!

Hiker

Re: Repeatable issue with external mic + external power supply (Hero 8 Black)

[ New ]

By the way - I've disabled quick capture, so that's not the problem.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the details that you provided, @seventhletter. We will share this with the team and will post back once we have information to share. Have you been able to observe if it matters which external microphone is used with the camera? Is your microphone among these recommended external microphones? Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks for the reply.  I am using the Purple Panda, which many motovloggers use.  It works fine when using the camera battery instead of external power supply.

I'm thinking it's an issue of using the USB as the source of power while using an external mic.   What I have NOT tried, is doing this setup on my Hero 5 Black to see if the issue persists there.

For the Hero 8 I've tried the media mod and the go pro block-shaped external mic adapter.  Both have the same issue when pulling the battery and using an external power source.

It's really unfortunate because the batteries do not last very long at all and for back country motovlogging, it's quite a hassle to disassemble the camera just to change out a battery.

I would try a powered mic (like one of the Rodes or something) but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that may not even fix the issue.

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm really fed up with all the issues with all of my gopros.  

The Hero 8 Black now no longer sees or recognizes an external mic.  I've tried with media mod and with the external mic adapter.

It also just stops recording sometimes, yet will record on same battery charge on later tries in the same session.

I have lost count of how many great moments I have missed due to GoPro failures.  Today was a prime example. It was a once in a lifetime chance to capture the event and my GoPros failed me again.

The 8 refused to use the external mic, and stopped recording video also right at the key moment.

The 5 recorded a bunch of 27kb files.

Complete garbage.

I'm looking for alternatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

I apologize, I had the cards swapped in my head.  I reported incorrect info on what happened.

It was the GoPro Hero 8 Black that just stopped recording any data.  The files are there, but they are only 27kb in size.  And it was during the most important part of the event.  I can never get that moment back.  I was not using the Hero 5 Black during that time.

For being the leading action camera company in the world, there sure are a LOT of issues with your cameras GoPro!

Hiker

[ New ]

Im also having this issue..

Im using it for when im riding my motorcycle, and when using the internal battery the purple panda works fine (if you ignore some of the popping caused by high exhaust notes..)

And this would be good enough if the internal batterys would'nt be absolute garbage.. I cant buy 5 batterys and stop each 40 minutes while riding to swap it out.

Before buying the gopro i made sure you were supposed to be able to use an external powersource together with an external microphone. But im having the same issue as you and when im asking support about it they dont seem to know what to do about it. Which is pretty **bleep**ing anoying since gopro is supposed to be a top tier brand.

This feels like an issue that you could expect from a chinese knock off camera and not a gopro lol..

**EDIT**

Here is a sound sample of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLDpuybRzzc

I have had a live chat with a representative recently and im waiting for an email response of the cause of this since he would have to bring it further to help me.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey thanks for that info.  It sucks having this issue, but it's nice (I guess?) to know it's not just my camera, and it probably a more widely spread problem.

I agree - pretty lousy for what is supposed to be a brand that is top of the action cam industry.

You have a YT channel?  Would be nice to keep up and help each other figure this out.  I have a side issue related to this that I'd love to know if you've tried it.

I setup some additional cabling to record my Cardo Packtalk Bold for dual vlogs - but because that is a line signal, and the Purple Panda is a standard mic signal, the GoPro doesn't know what to do about levels. Either I get fine Cardo and no mic, or I get fine mic and cardo is way over gain.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ New ]
Hey one thing you mentioned (about getting a bunch of batteries) I wanted to offer up a possible solution for you. I've found that using QuickCapture setting on my other gopro is great because the camera turns on and then shuts off automatically when I stop a recording. We can't do that when using an external, unpowered mic. HOWEVER, if using a powered mic, you should be able to use quick capture. This would allow you to just start recording when needed and it would startup the camera and record, then when you stop recording, it would shut back off. I don't know about you, but for me this would save TONS of battery. I'm considering trying it. But I'd be pretty disappointed if I spent the money for a powered mic and it didn't fix the situation.
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the lost opportunity for capturing the event, @seventhletter. Which card was used in the HERO8 Black? The information on the brand, type, and capacity will be helpful. If you continue to observe issues with your camera, it would be best to get in touch with our Support Team for further troubleshooting. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm using one from the approved list for the Hero 8 Black, and I reformat it with the camera before every session.

PNY Elite-X (UHS-I U3 / V30) A1 128GB

There are times that I have to remove the battery and put it back in also because the camera will not turn on.  Unfortunately, the design of the camera is such that it is a royal pain to do that.  Especially if using media mod.

Hiker

[ New ]

I do, however im just keeping it for me and my friends atm :)

I have not tried doing anything regarding to the intercoms, we are using cardo packtalks.. I looked into it some in the beginning but decided not to bother hehe :)

Hiker

[ New ]

Im recording like 1-4 hrs at a time so that would'nt help my case much sadly :)

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi again, i got a response from support basically saying it isn't gopros problem which is a dog**bleep** response in my opinion.

They dont really seem to care that much, i guess its to neiche of an issue.

I have given up trying to use their useless accessories and im probably going to resort to using external voice recording. Im not motovlogging but more just recording footage for me my friends. I want clean sound without to much wind.

Im going to try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD80yKfu_dQ

You could probably run a wire from the recorder to an external mic in your helmet aswell, This way you would get the regular onboard audio from the gopro + the external version, so if one of them fails you still have one.

Ill let you know the results of this once i got it sorted if you are interested.

How to record motorcycle engine noise without any wind noise. By using an audio recorder(Zoom H1), action camera(GoPro), foam and editing software(Adobe Prem...
Hiker

[ New ]

Well they should have at least said something like "it is not designed to work in that way and this is something that will not work".  

Instead of taking the attitude of "not our problem".

Yeah I imagine in the long run, I'll end up going with an external recorder....but man...that becomes a lot to keep up with. haha

I'm motovlogging with a 2 camera setup already, and I'm often the leader in all-day group rides, so I'm checking GPS pretty often also.   So 2 cameras, GPS and an external recorder would be even more cumbersome.  I guess it's the price to play though.

Thanks for the info!

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah its one more thing to bother with for sure hehe.
However if you want to run the external mic in the helmet i bet u could just stick the recorder in your jacket and connect the mic to that instead of the gopro adapter.
Sounds cumbersome but would probably work :)
Hiker

[ New ]

Hey, so i got the zoom h1n recorder for about 100 bucks.

I tried putting it under my passenger seat however the audio distorted alot because my full system outputs to high db for the internal mics of the zoom to handle. (it can handle up to 120db, my bike outputs like 140db and the passenger seat is right above the ends of the exhaust.)

So instead i did what i suggested for you to do, i routed my purple panda mic in the helmet, so instead of the cable going to the gopro adapter i made it stick out in the back like this: https://imgur.com/a/bS5KR5p

Then when i go to ride i just connect the 3.5mm extention cable and run it under my jacket to a pocket with both the zoom h1n & my powerbank.

This way i get alot better audio while still being able to charge the camera while riding. Also the lavlier mic sounds alot better with the zoom h1n than it did with the gopro mic adapter.

This is a example of how it sounds without any speaking, i still got some tweaking to do but it already sounds 100 times better. If you want i could provide a example of me speaking while riding next time im out. It sounds great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCRv-euFaNA

Gopro audio vs zoom h1n with purple panda lavlier in helmet mic.
Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks man. Yeah I had a Zoom recorder for a while. I did use it a few times but with 2 cameras already, running an audio recorder also was just too much hassle. Mostly because I’m doing multiple short clips over the course of a ride rather than leaving everything running non-stop.

At the risk of getting this thread locked, I will just say that I’ve replaced my primary (helmet) GoPro with another brand and I’m able to run an external power supply (without a camera battery at all) along with an external microphone and it works great so far. This camera also has an audio meter. Just more in-line with what I need.

I will run the zoom from time-to-time if I want to pickup exhaust notes. (In that case I run a long boom mike with a huge dead cat on it)

Thanks again, and I hope everything works well for you. If you’re ever in Middle Tennessee area hit me up.
Hiker

[ New ]
And yeah I’d love to hear a talking clip while you’re hammering the throttle. Haha