Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Remote start/stop with monitor connected

Hi All;

GP7, latest firmware via manual update; factory spec card. Have a HDMI cable connected to it and a remote monitor. Would like to start/stop recording remotely. However, whenever the monitor is plugged in (and output is set to monitor) I can not activate start/stop either via the app or smart remote. Camera is mounted on the end of a long boom pole, whith the monitor being used to check framing. The app's resolution when viewed on a phone isn't cutting it for this application and frankly the app is a bit unreliable, hence I'd prefer to use the smart remote to trigger the camera but it seem like when a monitor is connected to it you can't communicate with it at all. Am I missing something here or am I SOL?

GoPro

Re: Remote start/stop with monitor connected

Tourist

Installed new update, 1.7. Pleased to report that the Smart Remote WILL INDEED start/stop my GP7 with a remote monitor attached. However, it may not be intuitively obvious it's going to work. In fact, initially you may think it wont.

1) Connect monitor to GP7

2) Turn on monitor & GP7 (make sure CONNECTIONS is ON and you have a paired Smart Remote - if not, do that first and confirm the remote works before messing with the remote monitor).

3) Turn on Smart Remote and let it find the camera.

Once it does, you get that wierd symbol in the Smart Remote and Camera front that looks like a black arrow, rather than your settings.

4) Press and HOLD the start button on the Smart Remote for several sconds, the camera will start, the red LED on the Smart Remote will blink, and the Smart Remote's screen will change to show "normal" settings. There seems to be an initial delay of several seconds before the camera and smart remote start acting normally. I usually do 1-2 tests of start/stop of around 3-4 seconds each just to make sure they are working.

5) Start/stop function now appears to be the same as if the monitor wasn't attached.

So far... so good!

Tourist

In #4 I refer to the "start" button... just to clarify, it is the START/STOP RECORDING button, the one with the red 0.