Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Release GOPRO 7

@michald5
Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with the Hero6. Hopefully the Hero7 works out better for you. As someone who uses the Hero6 pretty extensively and who owns, and has used, just about every Hero camera released (Hero Hd, Hero2, Hero3 Black/Silver, Hero3+ Black, Hero4 Silver, Hero4 Session, Hero5 Session, Hero5 Black, Fusion, and Hero6), I stand by my comments of the Hero6 Black being the best Hero camera released to date.

As a long standing member of this and other GoPro forums, as well as for other tech devices, I can point to plenty of issues reported, on all kinds of devices and popular brands, that might easily convince someone that a particular brand or device is inheritly flawed, no matter how well reviewed or praised it might be by the vast majority of people. Keeping it GoPro related, other than the Hero3+ (which still had it's fair share of detractors), the Hero6 Black had had the least amount of complaints. Of the issues reported, the cat majority of them were corrected with firmware updates.

Your experience, was of course, your experience. With hundreds of thousands of these cameras sold, it's also not surprising to find that there are also others with similar complaints. While in my experience I've found that most of these, "issues" come down to SD card issues or user error, there are of course the times when it's simply a manufacturer defect.

When you do get the Hero7, make sure you are using a recommended SD card and that you run a manual update when it's provided. If you encounter issues, be sure to test with a different SD card from the recommended list. And, as always, be sure to reach out to the GoPro Support Team with any issues you might have.
Highlighted
Hiker

@danielr15
I have also used a lot of hero devices, and mainly the heros 4, 5, and 6. Of all of these three, the hero 6 is a joke and flawed. I am under the impressioin that it is hardware related now and not so much firmware. I have found out that running the hero 6 without a battery in for a long period of time, does heat up, especially the sd card. The outside of the camera stays cool, but card not. Combine the heat from the card, which is on the recommended list by the way, with the battery heat while using, especially while usb cable is connected, and it will fail at different intervals in a cool environment. I think the reason there are not so many cards on the recommended list is because of heat issues the cards produce while recording. Once again the hero 5 and 4 work flawless in the same scenario. I am done with the hero 6's. If anyone wants to buy a complete set of these, or individual ones, if they think they are flawless and so wonderful, then get in touch with me, and I will make you a very good deal. As for the future, I will try out the hero 7, which should be flawless after all of the beta testing the users have performed, including myself. If it does not work out, I will never buy another gopro product again. My two cents...
Highlighted
Sightseer

Well said
Highlighted
Nomad

I guess it really depends what you're using it for. I've got a hero 6 and never had an overheating issue, but then I don't run it off a powerbank doing 4 hour timelapses.
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 4 and 5 can run all day long till card memory runs out, with battery in while charging cable connected. Hero 5 with 256 gig card runs all the way through 16 hours non stop with battery in while charging cable connected, same card and same battery used in hero 6 that cannot. Definately a text book case of flawed camera for sure...

Highlighted
Nomad

Been fine for me and what I use it for. Had the Hero5 and 6, and the 6 is a far superior camera.
Highlighted
Hiker

@quickhero77554
Well glad to hear that. If you have use for another one or more, let me know. I am getting rid of mine.
Highlighted
Nomad

I don't need another I'm afraid. I actually found a Hero6 in Iceland and tracked down the owner and handed it back. Imagine how many people would have just taken it!