Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Refund For not working gps on Hero8

Dear GoPro,

Last October I bought a brand new shiny Hero 8 Camera. My primary use is tracking my epic windsurf speeds. The first sessions I had trouble with GPS, the software kept complaining that gps was disabled. Diving into the forums I learned that it was a shortcoming in the software. Otherwise happy with my go pro I decided to wait for a fix. The trees lost there leaves snow came over the country and a new epic windsurfing season was dawning. But GoPro still didn't fix their software. Still no way to really use the GPS. Looking back GoPro already promised a fix last fall in the near future. It has been over 6 months now, for me this is too long. Therefore I would like to know how I can return my GoPro for a refund.

I can explain why this is a reasonable request and that request should be fulfilled by GoPro. First of all the GPS option was widely advertised. It was working for older models on the desktop software and as a customer it is very reasonable expecting that it would work for the Hero 8. Second directly after purchase GoPro promised to fix it in the near future. Third that promise was made months ago. Many months have passed and as a customer I have waited long enough for GoPro to fix this shortcoming. Fourth tracking my windsurf speeds was the primary use case for me. That the product is working otherwise doesn't matter to me. 

Please Let me know how I can return and obtain a refund for my GoPro Hero 8.

sincerely,

A very unhappy premium customer

p.s.

Please don't tell me it is working on my iPhone with 16GB of space. There is no way to process 4K content through this. If I would have known I had to buy a phone with large storage space to use this option I wouldnt have bought a GoPro. Suggesting this as a solution feels as insult and completely out of touch with your customers.

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Refund For not working gps on Hero8

Use RaceRender or Dashware to add gauges.

Highlighted
Hiker

Dash aware continues to complain data extraction failed and race render crashes too often on my Mac. I don’t think GoPro will help resolve these issues.
Highlighted
Nomad

Wow that's just unfortunate.  GoPro got into the bad habit of releasing camera's and not having the software to back them up.  Now in all fairness that attitude has changed and they are working on new software as they realize this is where the future of the company lies.  The unfortunate side of this is that they are way behind the ball and it's good folks like yourself who end up suffering.

Have you tried this one?

https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6tW_097A6QIVEGKGCh2vkQMAEAAYASABEgKO2PD_...

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks for suggesting solutions! Yes I tried the telemetry extractor. The location data looked way off, I was windsurfing 500 from the shore line on the land. The speed extraction had strange spikes but other wise ok. The pro version offers data smoothing that would probably fix this. But wow it costs a whopping $200. The GoPro 8 telemetry Fix was a reasonable $50 however I found on the internet that it is only working for the first version of the firmware for the Hero 8. That would mean I have to go through a messy / risky firmware downgrade. Also adding the gauges to the movies would require adobe after effects which is another €25 per month. All in all too expensive too my taste for functionality that was promised to come with the camera.

Highlighted
Nomad

Hi,

I created the Extractor and some of the other tools, so just to shed some light on of the points made here...

Dashware is not compatible with the Hero8 GPS data just like Quik isn't. Even less so, as it has not been updated since the Hero5 times. You can add XML profiles to it (the ones from Quik) to make it compatible up to the Hero7, but not the 8 in its up to date firmware.

If you see bad GPS data in the Extractor, it means the camera struggled to record the GPS signal, a fix in Quik does not guarantee that specific files will look good once gauges are active. The Extractor Premium will not smoothen the data in the video file, but in the exported data, so it's useful if you want to use the data in a third party app, but not in Quik or other GoPro software. The free Extractor has controls for GPS Fix and Precision that might already help you get rid of some of those errors.

In order to improve results on the data accuracy front you will need to follow some strict rules: wait for a GPS lock before you start recording (don't use the Quick Capture mode), have the camera in an upright position, avoid mounting it under any obstacles... ( more tips here, you might have already seen this page https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Metadata-Visualization-GPS/GoPro-GPS-not-working-Performance-st... )

Regarding the GPS Quick Fix, you do NOT need to downgrade the firmware of your camera in order to use it. The best results once the video files have been converted with the GPS Quick Fix are achieved on GoPro Quik version previous to the latest one (2.5.0 and 2.6.0), so I do recommend downgrading that, which has no negative impact as far as I know. The fix you might have read that involved downgrading the firmware camera is the same XML profiles hack mentioned above for Dashware.

The After Effects template is not needed if you use the Quick Fix. It's just an advanced alternative, mostly for profesional video editors that already use After Effects. But the Quik Fix allows you to create the normal gauges in GoPro Quik.

There are other alternatives, like exporting your data to GPX (with the Extractor) and creating the gauges in a different software that supports GPX (Dashware, Virb Edit...) which are not as complete as the previous ones but some people are using them.

I hope this helps

Highlighted
Tourist

Dashware is Windows only and Race Render is a paid for product.

Unless GoPro are willing to pay for my Race Render licence, I don't see that as a viable alternative.

A full refund should be given to anyone who requests it, the product has a defect which hasn't been fixed, it was mis-sold.

Highlighted
Explorer

GPS stickers don't work with the mobile app? I haven't had any issues.

As far as desktop extraction of GPS data, I don't think this was ever mentioned as being something the HERO8 had available. Could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing that.

Anyway, you can also use Virb Edit (for free) for displaying GPS data on your videos. Just use the online extractor first.