Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Red filter or not

Is it worth purchasing a red filter for hero 7 black? And does the same filter fit both body and housing? I will only be using camera for snorkeling but want best possible photos/video
Thanks
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Red filter or not

[ Edited ]

@nobleshore10437, HERO7 Black provides great improvement to the overall color saturation, contrast detail, and image clarity of the camera. You can still use filters to further enhance the image quality of your underwater footage. 

• Magenta: The magenta filters are ideal for use in green waters, which are found in freshwater lakes and reservoirs or salt water that appears green due to algae.
  • Red: The red filter are ideal for blue salt water and clear fresh water, which are found in sunny tropical locations.

The Snorkel Filter fits onto the camera's protective lens only. If you will be using SuperSuit, you have to use Dive Filter. 

Filters are no longer available on gopro.com. However, you can still find these filters at various online retailers.

Here's a sample screen grabbed photo from one of my underwater videos -- filmed at 1080P 60FPS, Wide FOV, and no filters used.

Hopefully this helps!

Ann

Highlighted
Hiker

The colours are amazing in photo, if I can get footage like that I will be very happy
Thanks
Highlighted
GoPro

@nobleshore10437, you can also check out this thread where a lot of our users have found some good info on underwater filming.

Feel free to post back if you have any further questions. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!