Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Red filter and Hero 7 Black

Hi, I have just got a Hero 7 Black and am taking it on a dive trip to the Red Sea.  I have also gotten a Red filter for my Super Suit housing. I have read in some of the Hero 6/7 blogs that with the new Hero 6/ 7 with the improved Auto White Balance, and the addition of Global Tone Mapping, that a Red filter is no longer required! If I use the Red filter will it have any adverse effect on my videos?

Cheers Mick

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Red filter and Hero 7 Black

Hi @mickc58

You no longer have to install a red filter if you already have one on your SuperSuit. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Hiker

Tks Jay,

I may have misled you.

The blogs I looked at say that you don't need to use a Red filter at all with the Hero 6/7??

I already have a Red filter for my Super Suit, not on the camera itself, so my question really is with the new specs i.e. improved Auto White Balance, and the addition of Global Tone Mapping, if I use the Red filter on the Super Suit will it have any bad effect on the final footage if the camera has already compensated for the color loss? 

Cheers again.

Mick

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @mickc58,

I personally use red filter but I only use 1 since using 2 filters might be too much. 

And yes it's true that you no longer need filter for HERO7. 

But its still useful for me, 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Hiker

Tks Jay.

Highlighted
GoPro

You're welcome @mickc58,

Feel free to ask or share your photos :)

Highlighted
Tourist

I recently purchased the Hero 7 silver.

This may be a silly question, but can I purchase/use the red dive filter with the standard housing or do I need the super suit housing..?

Note - I will not be using for deep diving, more snorkelling (1-3 metres) for better quality pictures.

Appreciate if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @spiryrange14082. The red filter or blue water snorkel filter (like one here) does not work with the HERO7 Silver.