Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Red/Magenta dot- Dead pixels?

I have an issue with a red/magenta dot showing up in bright/contrasty scenes. What's odd is when Hypersmooth is on, and the shot is steadied while hand-holding the gopro, I can see the dot zooming around completely uneffected by the stabilization (showing the real movement of the camera).

At 4K resolution the dot seems to be 7-12 pixles in diameter. It always appears in the middle right of the camera feild of view, and is visible on both the LCD (almost looks bigger on the LCD) and of course the video/photos. Another odd thing is it's only in contrasty situations, when there's little contrast the dot seems to disappear.

I have zero idea what the cause could be, any ideas what I should do?

dotcollage.png
Tourist

Re: Red/Magenta dot- Dead pixels?

Possibly a bad sensor in the camera. I would send it back for RMA.

Tourist

I have the same issue. It floats around in its area of the screen. I did notice that it does not get recorded in the videos though so I don't think its a dead pixel. Still going to exchange it at the store because I cant help but notice it and that drives me nuts. Whats even worse is this is the second Hero8 to go bad. The first one kept turning itself on and off till I finally removed the battery. I hope the third times a charm! 

Tourist

I'm having the same issue, but my dot is blue. It looks like others having the same issue.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero8-Blue-dot-on-main-screen/m-p/420625#/M113474

GoPro

@litheflash61148, sorry to hear about the trouble. This is definitely not the kind of experience we want you to have. If you haven't done yet, reinstalling the firmware update of the camera can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

If the issue persists, our Support team will be able to assist you with the next steps. You may reach them by phone or live chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. When contacting them by phone, please make sure that the network allows calls to toll-free numbers. If having trouble connecting to our Chat Support team. You may try changing the location and language to "US, English" on the webpage.

Hiker

If this was something on the sensor or lens you should see when hyper smooth is turned on then whilst the image is stabilised the mark should skeet around the place because of the way the stabilisation reframe the image.

When hypersmooth is turned off the mark should stay in the same place even though the image may be dancing around.

It looks too large to be a single dead pixel on the sensor, more like dust or a mark on the sensor or lens. Check the outside of the lens for any Mark's that could be causing refraction. Sometimes something sticky can take a bit of getting off more than just a wipe with a lens cloth.

If it's on the inside of the lens or on the sensor itself then you need to send the camera back.

If there's a mark shows up on the screen but not on the recorded video then it will most likely be a problem with the screen having dead pixels.