Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Recover video files from a 256gb card

Try a program named Recuva. Not sure how well it works on recovering data from SD cards, but it has saved me numerous times recovering data on a PC hard drive.

Tourist

Grau although i good, doesn't seem to work in most cases like this. I have personally tried Stellar Phoenix Video Repair and I think it might work for you too. Giive it a shot.

Hiker

So I said I'd post back here if I got anywhere with my data recovery.....and I did.

I have a GoPro Hero 5 Session and had a 64gb Sandisk Ultra card (<-- apparently I should have got a SanDisk "Extreme")

Anyway, for no apparent reason my data got corrupted and was not viewable.

I downloaded a handful of software programs 

- EaseUS - Found files but was un viewable

- RescuePro Deluxe found all my files and said they were recoverable and I saw thumbs of the files but I wanted to make sure the files would be played.  I tried to get a hold of Tech Support prior to buying the software but no one got back to me via phone or email (I tried both), so I moved on

- Stellar Phoenix Data recovery - Again, found files but the preview option wouldn't play anything.  Their tech support said it no preview played, the files are damaged and unviewable.

- ICare Data Recovery Pro - Didn't even find any files.

- Recuva - No files found

- Active@ File Recovery - No result

Problem is, all these programs are like 60.00 or more and they promise nothing.  I was hesitant about spending more than a few bucks on a "shot in the dark".  It also seems like a lot of those programs are good at finding data on hardrives, not necessarily SD cards.

So I was on another video forum, not specifically about GoPros - I guess data corruption is a common thing.  I read that several people swore by this program and it worked specifically with GoPro cameras.  I went to the website and although the website looked a little less "polished", I decided to download the demo.  It found al lmy files and displayed the thumbnails for the program.  I looked at the price and it was 14.95 USD so I figured what the heck....I'll give it a shot.  I paid for the program, ran the scan and presto.  All my files work.  I'm actually in shock.

A lot of the other programs seemed to find a bunch of files but they may have been damaged/corrupted of just bits of files, but this program put it all back together, and I just watched the videos I thought I had lost.

So I said I would post back on this thread...here is the link.  Worked perfectly for me and I'm hoping it works for some more people that have lost their GoPro footage!  

https://www.goprorecovery.co.uk/

Good luck!   

Tourist

@westcoastdragon

Tell me about it! Ive become obsessed! haha

Tourist

@westcoastdragon

So it seems, https://www.goprorecovery.co.uk/, is windows based only and I run a Mac.... ugh. I think I'm just gonna refilm and take the beatings again. Anything to get it on film!

Hiker

Ah, I hear ya.  Bummer about the PC/Mac thing.  I guess if you change your mind about trying to get the data, maybe you can bring the SD card and adapter to a buddy's house with a PC and give it a go.

And also, I did see the files I wanted with RescuePRO Deluxe, I just didn't bother going forward 'cause their support kinda sucked.  But it does have a Mac version if you wanted to at least try the demo version.  So  I can't vouch for the final result but it was definetly promising.

https://www.lc-tech.com/mac/downloads/

I just feel bad for all the peeps out there who lose their sweet footage.  I can't believe how common this data loss seems to be.  Hopefully lots of people will see this thread and get some luck....since I was so bummed about losing my data.  When I saw the thumb nails of my trip I just became obsessed with trying to get it back.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone who lost their awesome pics and footage.  

RedMountain.jpg