Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Recording while plugged in

[ New ]

Hi, with your new Max 360 camera, can I record 360 video while the camrea is plugged in to power? 

I ask since I'd like to record a conference and that is 6 hours in total. I can change cards during breaks of course.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Recording while plugged in

[ New ]

Hi @frodeh3

Note #1: Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while charging with a computer.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Charge-the-Camera-Battery/ta-p/388258

For longer recordings, we recommend removing the battery and letting the camera run off the external power source.

Thanks!
Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @frodeh3

Note #1: Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot record while charging with a computer.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Charge-the-Camera-Battery/ta-p/388258

For longer recordings, we recommend removing the battery and letting the camera run off the external power source.

Thanks!
Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you. So I can record for many hours (stopping to change card) if I have external power from the mains via USB?

Do you know how much storage 1 hour of max quality 360 video takes?

Hiker

[ New ]

Why dont gopro make it charge when pluged into mains ?

Adventurer

[ New ]

how can they sell more batteries if they do?

Explorer

[ New ]
The power bypasses the battery and is used directly as the power source. Heating is a major concern. While removing the battery is recommended to help prevent this, if the battery is left in AND was charging during recording, the thermals would exceed safe levels and would cause the camera to shut itself down.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Explain the smartphone Please.  gopro needs to do what other companies  got done but like dan said there is a special reasn  gopro cares.