Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Record to laptop

[ New ]
Hi, I want to record direct to my windows laptop from a Hero3 - is this straightforward and simply a case of connecting the camera via the usb cable?
Nomad

Re: Record to laptop

[ New ]

No, you will need a video out cable from the HDMI and a video capture card that supports the HDMI input signal from the camera.  Or you can just buy a $10 webcam because it sounds like that's what you actually need.

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks, buy please don't presume to know what I want
Nomad

[ New ]

Please note that I didn't say it's what you wanted, I said it was what you needed.

There is a vast difference between want and need.

If you "want" the feed from your camera to go directly to your laptop, not only will you have to buy additional hardware to enable video capture over HDMI, but you'll be relegated to the Max live output of your GoPro which will be 720P.  You will also have a 2 second delay on the feed.

Please don't be angsty with people who are actually trying to answer the question you asked.

Nomad

[ New ]

You want help yet you bite the hand thats even willing to feed you. Can we use this post as a lesson in Entitlement.........  Lots of luck on god forbid pluging a cable in and trying this for yourself faster then it took you to type this post.  It sounds more like you need to figure this out on your own since you have your own answers.....