Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Record from 2 external microphones

[ New ]
I have a Hero 8 mounted on a motorcycle helmet. I want to record audio from 2 external sources: an intercom and a mic.

I have the mic adapter and cable splitters, which allow me to record a feed from the intercom. I can also record from the mic when it is plugged directly in to the gopro mic adapter.

The problem is when I plug a splitter in to the gopro mic adapter and connect the mic and intercom, it records audio from the intercom only. It does not record the mic audio.

It looks like the splitter is the problem but I can't figure it out.

Help!
Tourist

Re: Record from 2 external microphones

[ New ]
Here is a pic showing the setup. This records audio from the intercom. It does not record from the mic.
20210115_100541.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
Here's a close up of the connectors. They're all the same (TRRS?), except the mic (TRS?).

Once this is working I'll probably solder this in to a loom to fit the helmet.
20210115_101524.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

I have a little bit of experience recording from two mics and in my case I had to ensure that the splitter that goes into the mic adapter was receiving two mono inputs - one for each channel. First I think you will have to take the in ear monitors out of the equation altogether.... after all in this setup they are little more than two extra microphones!   I would then try to find a patch lead (to connect your helmet mic to the splitter near the mic adapter) that is mono, like the plug at the end of your external mic lead.

Later on in your video editor you would convert each of these channels to "dual mono" so the audio channels are combined.

I'm sure there are people with more experience than at doing this kind of stuff so I hope someone else can give suggestions.

Hiker

[ New ]

Hmmm, looking at your pictures again I think you can ignore my previous advice!! I've never had an intercom and I guess what you want to do is record what that other parties are saying (via the in ear monitors) as well yourself talking inside your helmet.  I don't think my previous post will help at all, so I hope you get the help you need figuring it out.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks, I have seen some YouTube videos where they have mono feeds to the left and right channels. Unfortunately I have to keep the monitors as I'm partially deaf and can't hear audio from the intercom speakers. I think my best bet is to join the splitter and cable at the gopro side and splice the wires to make the intercom feed mono. If I need to I can then duplicate the mono audio to both channels to fake a stereo track.

Thanks