Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Quik key jerky footage

Hi! Have read a number of questions and answers on this, but not sure if I get it. I’m using a Samsung Evo plus 128 SD card and the new (slanty top) GoPro Quik key. I’ve recorded in 1080. When I playback on my iPhone X, through the GoPro (capture) App, the footage is always jerky and occasionally pixelated. I’ve saved to my phone and the videos are fine! Just wondered if anyone can let me know if I’m doing something wrong? Is this a GoPro Quik key issue? Why will it not play perfectly from the Quik key? Any advice would be great!
GoPro

Re: Quik key jerky footage

Hi @rockyoasis08411

Some phones can have a difficult time playing back high resolution video smoothly. If playback is choppy the actual video file is likely fine, it is just a playback issue on the specific phone and will likely play back smoothly on other players. As a workaround, you can try using 1080-30 or downloading the low resolution videos instead.

For more information, check out this article which has a chart displaying the resolutions that certain phones may have a problem with. Looking at the chart, 1080p at 240 fps uses HEVC and may have issues with play back. Is your iPhoneX updated to the latest OS version? It is always best to have the phone running on the latest OS, and install the latest GoPro App version. 

Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Tourist

Hi!
Thanks for the response. The issue seems to be with the Quik key playback and NOT when the videos are downloaded and played on my iPhone X. When I’ve got them saved on the phone they play perfectly. It’s before I download, and I’m trying to view the footage from the Quik key through the app. I guess my question is whether this is a faulty Quik key, or whether it’s just “how it is” All software is up to date and I’ve checked out the article (thanks for that) and it infers it should play ok. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thanks again,

Ruth
GoPro

Interesting. Thank you for the additional details you provided, @rockyoasis08411. We would like to further isolate the source of the trouble. By any chance, will you be able to test how the playback on the app goes while using a different iPhone unit? Let us know how it goes. Thanks. 

Tourist

I’m the only iPhone user in our household, but I’ll see what I can do!
Tourist

Tested! iPhone 6 with up to date software. Plugged in the Quik key and had same result as in the iPhone X. Jerky footage, pixelated. By the process of elimination, does this mean the Quik key is faulty? iPhones are fine. Videos downloaded onto iPhones play fine. SD card is fine. Just the playback on the Quik key that’s not. Let me know what you think?
Tourist

Hi,

Was this issue resolved? I have a Quik Key & it plays jerky footage on an iPhone X & an older iPad with Retina display (video was 1080, 60fps). I also have a TEKQ lightning card reader which plays perfect on the iPhone X. However I wanted to review, trim & highlight videos before uploading them to the GoPro cloud. I also can’t seem to upload to GoPro cloud from the Quik Key. So it doesn’t play back smoothly & I can’t upload to GoPro cloud. I don’t think the Quik Key is fit for purpose unless there is a way to achieve these things.
Tourist

Hi! It wasn’t resolved. I’m just living with it, as when I get the footage onto my iPhone it’s fine. Sorry I can’t help, but if you get any resolution, it would be great if you could let me know x