Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Questions about Hero 9

[ New ]

Hello!

I have several GoPro cameras (Hero5, Hero7 and the recently purchased Hero9) that I use for ATV action filming.

I have set up the Hero7 to near perfection regarding colors, sharpness, stabilizer settings and everything else, so it is perfectly usable for my purpose, which is filming ATV trips in 4k@60fps.

When I purchased the Hero9 camera I was expecting a noticeable step up in picture quality, however what I see is:

- noticeable yellow tint in colors under any WB settings, either Auto or any manual setting

- extremely poor picture quality under any settings, namely under any Sharpness setting, whenever I try filming from a non-static position, i.e. if I try filming the trees while walking in the forest (about 2 mph) all leaves simply turn into blurred colored spots. Mid-far and far objects have zero sharpness to them while I walk. If I stop - the picture becomes somewhat better but not quite acceptable. If I turn the stabilizer off - the picture becomes a little better as well, however my filming conditions absolutely require image stabilizer. Using flat mode results in somewhat better sharpness, but again - not at all acceptable. And yes, the yellow tint in flat mode stays.

I have tried all possible exposure, ISO and EV combinations in auto and full manual modes, but to no avail.

I run the latest available firmware (01.21) on the Hero9, the s/n of the camera is C***, TRC No. ***CMIIT ID: ***, CNC ID: C-***.

My question is - are these issues going to be addressed in further firmware updates, or will they just stay with this model? I am willing to share test films, snapshots and whatever required.

I'd like to stress again - I'm a long time GoPro user and I had great experience with both Hero5 and Hero7 models. However up to this point Hero9 is nothing but a huge disappointment.

Hero9_forest.jpg
GoPro

Re: Questions about Hero 9

[ New ]

Hi @ИванУ167

Please stay tuned for the next update release for the HERO9 Black.

https://gopro.com/en/dk/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

I agree. GoPro 8,9 has same issues with 4k resolution quality. It is not really 4k - it looks like 4k upscaled from 2.7k

Hiker

[ New ]

Je te conseille vivement de faire la mise à jour 1.22 et de réésayer tes différents réglages.

Dis nous si cela fonctionne.

Tourist

[ New ]
Updated the camera to 1.22 software, and... nothing.

Maybe the blur became somewhat more artistic, I don't know (and don't really care).

@sunnydusk2040 is right - the picture looks like it was upscaled and not in a good way.

I still see a strong relation between CPU load (colors, lens correction, stab, etc.) and the resulting picture quality, which makes me think that GP1 processor is at its limit with 100mbps H.265 encoding. Any additional load on the CPU and everything goes from bad to worse.

A huge disappointment. Wasn't this meant as an _action_ camera, not a blogger camcorder?