Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Protection options for Hero 8 with USB-C access?

[ New ]

Hi,

Finally jumping into the GoPro world and trying to decide between the Hero 7 and Hero 8.  I generally prefer to go with the latest revision of hardware if it's been out for a while so I'm leaning toward the Hero 8 for that reason.  But I plan on using it for offroad motorcycling/motovlogging so both lens protection and a microphone are necessities; I'd also prefer a more rugged housing.  Re: microphone, I'm going to go with the mic adapter as the Media Mod is overkill for my needs.  So I've seen lots of cases that hold the mic adapter but have no lens protection (Ulanzi), options that protect the Hero 8 lens but are not rugged (Rollcage), and also cases that don't hold the mic adapter and are still rugged but have no access to the USB-C in operation (Protective Housing).

But I have to see anything that provides a rugged housing with lens protection and simultaneous access to the USB-C.  I'm OK with rigging up a separate mount for the mic adapter but lens/body protection are mandatory.  Is there something out there I haven't found yet?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Protection options for Hero 8 with USB-C access?

[ New ]

The simplest solution is always the best.  When you're riding the motorbike, record video and audio seperately.  That way you can fully protect your camera with a proper case.  Also you don't have to use a mic adapter and you can just use something like a Zoom portable audio recording hooked up to a mic inside your helmet.  The benefit of this is the ability to set peak audio levels and use an external mic mounted inside your helmet.

Currently there are no protective cases that will do what you want and it's unlikely that there will be unless there is a huge dramatic increase in sales.  This is because no one will want to design and manufacture cases without a guaranteed market for them (and to get it to an affordable price point, they would have to have pre-orders for a few thousand units).  

So honestly, seperate your video and audio recording and just merge them together in a video editor afterwards.  Simple solution that will work.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

The simplest solution is always the best.  When you're riding the motorbike, record video and audio seperately.  That way you can fully protect your camera with a proper case.  Also you don't have to use a mic adapter and you can just use something like a Zoom portable audio recording hooked up to a mic inside your helmet.  The benefit of this is the ability to set peak audio levels and use an external mic mounted inside your helmet.

Currently there are no protective cases that will do what you want and it's unlikely that there will be unless there is a huge dramatic increase in sales.  This is because no one will want to design and manufacture cases without a guaranteed market for them (and to get it to an affordable price point, they would have to have pre-orders for a few thousand units).  

So honestly, seperate your video and audio recording and just merge them together in a video editor afterwards.  Simple solution that will work.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!  I'll look into the separate audio/video though admittedly, that sounds daunting for someone new to recording period  Smiley Happy  But yeah, it would certainly solve the problem of protecting the camera.  My suspicion was what you outlined in your second paragraph re: the cases; I was just hopeful there was something I missed, like a protective housing-like case with skeleton side door.  Anyway, thanks again!