Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Problems with my external microphone, the sound is in MONO

Hello everyone 

I have a problem with my gopro, I use the external 3.5mm adaptator (Not the media mod) and when I connect it to my microphone, the sound ends up in mono 

When I check in protune, it says i'm in stereo (and i can't change it at all anyway because it's gray) 

I have tried with different adaptaters, but the only one working is the one which ends up in MONO

Here is a picture of my different pins

the one on the left is the one working but ends up in mono and I can't change it

the one in the middle is not working at all

and the one on the right is the main cable which I connect to my adaptator987978.jpg

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Problems with my external microphone, the sound is in MONO

You should be using a TRS (two pole) cable when plugging into either the media mod or adapter.  A TRRS (three pole) connection will not work.

If you are getting Mono sound when using a TRS connection, this would point to a faulty cable or bad connection.

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you, I was indeed using the TRS one (Left) but it ended up in mono, so I think the microphone is at fault here, it's a really cheap one I brought for less than 10 bucks, i'm gonna refund it and order a new one and see how it goes 

Thanks for the help ! 

Highlighted
Adventurer

@oodyxrey wrote:

Hello everyone 

I have a problem with my gopro, I use the external 3.5mm adaptator (Not the media mod) and when I connect it to my microphone, the sound ends up in mono 

When I check in protune, it says i'm in stereo (and i can't change it at all anyway because it's gray) 

I have tried with different adaptaters, but the only one working is the one which ends up in MONO

Here is a picture of my different pins

the one on the left is the one working but ends up in mono and I can't change it

the one in the middle is not working at all

and the one on the right is the main cable which I connect to my adaptator

Prutune  the gray out one is for the Media Module not the promic it confuses all.   Mic is TRRS, to TRS then a TRS is required to the promic.