Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Problems formatting Samsung SD 256EVO plus with Hero7 Black

I have trouble formatting my Samsung 256EVO plus sd card. It won’t format in my GoPro Hero7 Black. It keeps giving the “ formatting” screen but notting happens for hours. I get a SD card error.

I can format in a normal laptop and a digital camera but it still doesn’t work in the GoPro. 

If I start the format trough the app, there is no error message but when I take a picture there is a “ SD card busy” notification on the screen. After that the only way to remove this message is to shut down the camera. After this the SD card error message is back.

This happens with both new sd cards’

I can shoot pictures with a smaller card (4Gb). This can be formatted in my GoPro Hero7 Black.

I hope someone has a solution. I’m aware that a smaller card could be the awnser but I already spend a lot of money on these cards and the camera should be able to work with the 256GB card.

Thanks, Mick

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Problems formatting Samsung SD 256EVO plus with Hero7 Black

Hi @mixvieux

A similar issue has been reported on this thread: 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero7-Black-won-t-format-SD-card/td-p/276125/page/3

Please reach out to Samsung to verify the SD card you are using.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello Ej,

Thank you for your quick responce

I am probably the proud owner of two counterfeit micro SD-cards.

I already contacted the seller and they are looking into it.

The reason I now believe the cards are counterfeit:

- Both cards have the same serial number

- the country of manufacturing is different on the packaging and the card (Korea vs Taiwan). I read that all Samsung cards are made In Korea or the Philippines and not Taiwan.

I hope I can get a correct card soon, so I can finally enjoy my new GoPro.

Thanks again!

Greetings,

Mick

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the update, @mixvieux. Feel free to post back if you have any further questions.