Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Problem: Gopro Hero 7 Black turns off immediately after pressing mode button

Hi there,

I got my Hero 7 Black some weeks ago and first updated it to the latest fimware (I think it was 1.61). I did some testing and the Hero 7 Black worked well, but not perfect (some crashes from time to time like a frozen back screen, then I had to restart the cam to make it work again. Only happend 2-3 times).

Now things are getting more serious. I'm on holiday and wanted to use my brandnew Black 7 for this holiday. After some days I went snorkeling and the Hero 7 blacked showed a k. SD error as a message (and I think if I remember right, the backscreen showed a white cross on red background, that there is a problem with the SD card. How to say... the SD card still works well in every device (Laptop, other cameras as well), apart from the Hero 7 Black. I tested other SD cards in the Hero 7 Black as well - and immediately got the same error message. Finally no SD card was accepted anymore by the cam.

Now, after some days, even the back screen doesn't show anything anymore. When I press the mode button a few seconds wanting the 7 black to start, only the front screen shows the "Black 7" message and then the whole cam turns off immediately. The back screen doesn't show anything. Doesn't matter if with or without a SD card, always same problem.

Any advise how to rescue my cam is highly appreciated. Is there a way to reset the cam even without getting into the menu?

Tourist

Re: Problem: Gopro Hero 7 Black turns off immediately after pressing mode button

I just want to add:

Micro SD card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC V30

But as I said: I have several other SDXC cards, none of them was working and now I obviously a bigger problem with my Hero 7 Black.

GoPro

Re: Problem: Gopro Hero 7 Black turns off immediately after pressing mode button

Hi @bluestar24565

I am sorry for any troubles caused.

Please go over these steps to try to correct the issue:

1. Check to ensure that the SD card is not inserted between the SD card slot and the battery as this can put pressure on the back of the touch display.
2. Perform a manual update. https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black
3. After the update, perform a Factory Reset. Tap Preferences > Factory Reset, and then tap Next.

Let us know how it goes.

You may also reach out to our Support Team for further assistance.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hi @aragon1006,

I did exactly what you suggested:

- When Micro SDXC card is inserted, front screen is showing SDFH. and the card in the screen has an exclamation mark

- When Micro SDXC card is not inserted, front screen is showing K.SD and the card in the screen has an exclamation mark

Manual firmware update seems impossible for me...

GoPro

Thanks for getting back to us @bluestar24565

Please let us know once you get the chance to complete the rest of the steps.

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

@aragon1006: As I said: I cannot do a manual update of the cam. I download the firmware, put it on a Micro SD card and when this Mirco SD card is in the Hero Black 7 I get as result in the front screen: SDFH. and the card in the screen has an exclamation mark.

The Gopro does not start the update.

GoPro

Hi @bluestar24565

Reach out to our Support Team to move forward with this concern.

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej