Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Pro level question not in manual Hero 7 black

[ New ]

Hero 7 black - The manual doesnt cover the charging types at all.  There are 2 different charging symbols that show up on the front display depending on which external battery you are using (see pics). 

One is a solid black battery with an outlined lightniing bolt that happens when using a 2.4amp battery, the other is an outlined battery with a black lightniing bolt when using a 1amp battery.  But I dont think either allow you to record and charge at the same time do they?  I thought thats what they were supposed to do? 

What are the different features that each configuration allow?  I want a longer recording time.

IMG_6363.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

GoPro

Re: Pro level question not in manual Hero 7 black

[ New ]

Hello @erricx. It is recommended that the camera battery be charged at a rating of 5V, 1-2A. On page 84 of the manual ( https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-black/manuals/HERO7Black_UM_ENG_REVC.pdf ), it is stated that "Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during
recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot
record while charging with a computer." It would not matter which external power source is used. 

For longer recording time, you may continue to use the external battery and make sure that the SD card used will be able to cover the storage space needed for the recording. 

Explorer

[ New ]
One is fast charging and the other is not. Neither are indicative of charging the battery while recording.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah the manual doesn't show the front display even once.  Thanks for letting me know about the quick charge thing though.  Ive also heard you can record on the camera using an external battery without an internal battery, this will get the longer battery life im looking for if it works.

Do you know how long can the camera retain its settings without any battery at all?

GoPro

[ New ]

@erricx, as far as I know the camera will always keep the settings that you used last. I typically remove the battery from my camera when storing it, and I still get the same video settings when I power it back on after a few days.

Explorer

[ New ]
I'm not exactly sure at what point, but if the camera is without a battery or power source, the internal clock will revert back to its default. I generally don't store my batteries in the camera (as per warranty/best use guideline pamphlet that came with the camera), and I haven't had this happen very often. I usually use my cameras a few times a week. I have eleven GoPro cameras and the older models don't get used as often, so it's with these that I'll notice the time/date become incorrect. On my HERO6 Black and HERO7 Black the date stays current, even though I take the battery out between use (which is usually only a few days at most).

I generally connect my camera to the mobile app and go into settings and then tap the date/time to sync to the date/time in my phone. This way I keep all the cameras on the same date/time. However, connecting your camera to your computer and starting up Quik should also work.
Tourist

[ New ]

thanks forthe help you guys, I just got 4 of the 7 blacks, finally got them all working on the smart remote.  I plan on using them with external power to shot off and on for hours during long flights.  (I did this with my old 3 blacks too).  But I was afraid that if i had them without power that they might forget the smart remote and i would have to reconnect them all urgently at the last minute when i get to the plane.

Explorer

[ New ]
Ummm, connection to the Smart Remote might be lost. I haven't tested this, but my gut tells me the pairing will need to be redone.