Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Preview on Gopro APP doesn't work and wifi icon crossed out.

[ New ]

Ok, I received my gopro max, downloaded app and tried to connect it.

The connection itself was easy, however the preview is not working. 

Both phones I used was samsung, S9 and S20 Ultra, the issue is same - no preview and wifi icon crossed out. When I press enable preview, i see the sign - 'Device to use with gopro", and nothing. In 30 sec - 'No devices found. Make sure devices are turned on and available to connect." Same time camera controls was connected and I can control it, but no access to media and to preview. 

i read many topics here and manually updated camera software to version v01.50.00. The GoPro App version is 7.01 (9560). I did it manually, because from my phone it didn't allow me to do that. Manual update went nice and easy. However - it didn't help with the issue. 

Well, I don't know what to do now, on my side everything is ok. I have no possibility call support, no possibility to return/eaxchange the camera, not sure if I can use it by removing and inserting SD card all the time I need videos, not my dream at all. 

Any ideas, any help? 

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-19 at 18.14.21.png
Hiker

Re: Preview on Gopro APP doesn't work and wifi icon crossed out.

[ New ]
Same problem with my new Hero 9 ... 😟
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @olegvr4 @mania26

The live preview in the GoPro App is not supported while recording using HERO9 Black or MAX 360 videos

as the camera needs extra energy to perform its processes.

Sending live feed over Wi-Fi while recording with these options will not be possible.

Regarding connection issues, see if changing the Wi-Fi band to 2.4GHz will help.

You may also try manually connecting to the camera's WiFi network.  Send the app to the background and manually connect to the camera from your phone’s WiFi settings. You can find the password by putting the camera in pairing mode, then tapping the Info button on the camera.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi, 

I have the same problem and tried to manually connect to the WIFI network of the GoPro but the problem is that it doesn't appear...tried different phones as well. I think is some sort of firmware problem because if i restart the Gopro network settings and reconnect again it would connect to the WIFI but after 2-3 times it won't work again...

Nomad

[ New ]

Personally i can never get a live review on screen if i am doing a live stream to facebook, i can understand that. normal recording i can but its always hit and miss on my max. using a note 8 with all the latest updates on all devices

GoPro

[ New ]

This is odd, @chocouchyy, @mania26, @olegvr4. Thank you for the details that you have shared. To get to know more about what's happening, will you be able to send us a clip showing your workflow? You may upload it to Dropbox or Youtube and provide us the link here. 

If you can also provide information on the following, it would be greatly helpful. 

1. Phone model used and OS version

2. Camera model used and firmware version

3. GoPro App version used

Many thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? About to throw my brand new camera out the window!! Cat Mad

Nomad

[ New ]

So when you connect your camera to your phone it's controlled in 2 ways.

1:  A bluetooth connection is established to the camera.  This allows you the control the camera and adjust settings but it will not give you a live preview or allow you to browse your camera's media.   Bluetooth simply doesn't have the bandwith needed to do that.  This is why in the uses picture, the WiFi is crossed out as it's simply not active.

2:  When you click "enable preview" or go to browse your camera's media, this is when bluetooth tells your camera to power on it's WiFi.  WiFi is used to provide a live preview, browse media files and download photo's and video from the camera to your phone.

In this case, it seems that the bluetooth connection is working fine, but the WiFi is not.  There are several reasons WiFi may not be working and here's a couple of things to check.

A:  Change your camera's WiFi band from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz.  Your camera may want to default to 5Ghz automatically as it's faster, however 5Ghz is not licensed for use in some countries, so you have to switch to 2.4Ghz.

B:  Some phones will try to automatically switch to a better WiFi network if internet connectivity is lost.  Since the GoPro doesn't provide internet connection via WiFi, it's possible that your phone, once connected to the GoPro via WiFi may reject or drop the connection.  So it's best to turn "smart switch" off.

C:  Some phones have built in security settings or VPN settings that also disable you from connecting to your camera via WiFi.  You may need to investigate these settings with the phone manufacturer or your IT person.

D:  Even if you delete your WiFi connection from your phone, your phone can still retain a copy of the connection information and password in it's "managed networks" section.  This means if you reset up the connection, your phone can still default to the saved network information.  If you've set up a new connection, this saved connection information will be incorrect and the app will not connect.  Therefore it's important to make sure all copies of the GoPro connection and connection history are removed before setting up a new connection.