Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Pretty weak Android app? Pixel 3 connection horrible?

Had the camera about a week so far and pretty much every time I go to use it, I can't connect with the app and end up having to uninstall the app, factory reset the camera in order to get it to connect again.

Not a real efficient use of my time.

Is there a problem with the Pixel 3 and the Hero 8?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Pretty weak Android app? Pixel 3 connection horrible?

Hi @microfiche,

You don't have to do that.

Just make sure that your you disable the smart network switch feature of your phone. 

Also before pairing the camera turn on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth then make sure that the connection between the camera and your phone is established before openning the app. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks @graytree76514 but can't see that setting on my Pixel 3 running Android 10?

I tried everything to get it to reconnect - restarting phone, reinstalling app, etc.

As soon as I do a factory reset of Hero 8, it connects immediately.

Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @microfiche,

If it's not called smart network switch on your phone just check if you have a settings that allows your phone to connect automatically to a wireless network with fast/strong internet connection. 

Just disable it. 

But if it is disabled and your phone is connected to your camera before starting the app. 

Just reinstall the firmware of your camera since there might be a software problem. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras

Regards,

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

DId a manual update, no difference.

I just had it connected an hour ago, and already the app can't connect to the camera again.

I don't see any settings that would do what the old "smart network switch" would do in Android 10 - anyone know, or have experience with getting a Pixel 3 connected?

The support pages all seem to have info about the older Android versions, not 10.

Highlighted
Hiker

Update - it can "see" the camera in the app, just can't view media or connect to it.
I am not sure if it uses BT to see it and WiFi for everything else?

Highlighted
Nomad

Yes, the app uses Bluetooth to find the camera and wi-fi to control, stream and view media on the camera.  Your phone is most likely using smart connect for it's WiFi (or autoconnect) which keeps your phone connected to the strongest signal.  Or you could have a VPN on your phone or have mobile data disabled which is causing the app not to connect to the camera properly.

It's really a phone issue, so you may want to try contacting Google for help with this.