Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Preferences not available HERO 8 Black Media Mod when connected to HDMI

When I have HDMI connected to my HERO 8 Black Media Mod, I cannot access the Preferences menu nor can I change any of the quick presets.  I'm therefore unable to change the lens settings (wide, narrow, linear,...) with the HDMI plugged in.  Swipe does not work.  I'm also powering the GoPro using a USB powerpack to power it longer (I'm using it for teaching medical procedures and connecting to our remote students via Zoom due to COVID restrictions.)

Some additional voice commands would be helpful to be able to change lens settings, exposure, etc.  It would also be awesome to be able 

Out of curiosity, does the HERO 7 Black exhibit the same issue with being unable to access the Preferences and quick presets when HDMI is plugged in and the display is off?

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Preferences not available HERO 8 Black Media Mod when connected to HDMI

Hi @bobm70

Please note that the LCD screen will go blank when the camera is connected but should still respond to swipes and touches.

Check out https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-the-Media-Mod-for-HERO8-Black/ta-p/498557#Connecting_B... for reference.

How is the camera(on the Media Mod) when not connected via HDMI, are you able to access the Menu?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Yes, I am able to access the menu and swipe up/down/left/right when HDMI is disconnected (regardless of whether the Media Mod is on).  However, when HDMI is connected (and the Media Mod is on), I can only swipe left/right so I can't get to the menu.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bobm70

Is there a chance you have turned off the On-Screen Display?

Once connected via HDMI, press the Mode button to access the menu at the bottom.

If it's not the case, would you mind sending us a video of your workflow?

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

OSD was still on.

With HDMI plugged in to the Media Mod, it goes into Media Mode.  Pressing MODE button just cycles through the Media Mode options to select playback.

Now I can't get Voice Commands to work when HDMI is plugged into the Media Mod.

https://youtu.be/cBlUV2epaCM

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Highlighted
Tourist

Voice commands now work after reformatting the SD card.  That's weird.

I still cannot get to the main menu items when HDMI is connected.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to change the Lens setting when connected to HDMI... having that as a Voice Command would be amazing.

Highlighted
Tourist

The way we are utilizing these cameras are in our college's operating rooms, teaching students remotely how to do surgical procedures.  We're looking into a way to connect the GoPro to a wireless HDMI transmitter and need to have everything be able to be sterilized for each procedure.  The less "hands on" this setup can be, the better.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @bobm70

If you toggle to the camera icon on right and hit on the shutter button it will switch to the live feed of the camera.

Regarding voice control, it should still work when the camera is connected via HDMI. 

Thanks!

Ej