Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Possible to take a picture with GoPro Hero 5 in standby mode

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm a novice in GoPro. I never have a GoPro. I want to buy a GoPro Hero 5 Black Edition. Before to buy, I want to bu sure on question :

It's possible to take a picture with GoPro in standby mode ? The object is to preserve at maximum the battery. I want a picture for a moment, after a other picture for an other moment. No burst photo.

Thank you in advance for yours answers Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Possible to take a picture with GoPro Hero 5 in standby mode

I'm not sure I understand. You want to be able to take individual photos? Yes, you can do that. You want to take them one after another, but not burst (rapid sequence of shots) at an interval? Yes, it can do that.

Are you maybe talking about Quick Capture?
With Quick Capture the camera is off but if you want to start capturing photos or video, you can do so by pressing the shutter instead of turning the camera on first. If you short press the shutter, the camera turns on and starts recording video. If you long press the shutter, the camera turns on and takes a photo. If you turn press the shutter again it will turn off. If you do not press the shutter, the camera will either continue recording video or taking pictures every half second (depending on what mode you are in).

The Hero5 is a great camera, but I have to take this opportunity to suggest the Hero6. While the Hero5 has WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) and RAW photo capabilities, the Hero6 has HDR (High Dynamic Range) and RAW. Additionally, if you plan to record videos, the Hero6 has superior Stabilization, reduced rolling shutter, improved color profile, better dynamic range, more Protune options including Auto Shutter with ISO 100, and just overall better performance.

The Hero5 is a very good camera so I'm not trying to make you think it is not. However, since I own and use both, I can honestly say that the Hero6 is a superior camera and worth the extra cost.
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Possible to take a picture with GoPro Hero 5 in standby mode

I try to simplify my question : I want to take individual pictures with to preserve to maximum the battery : how to do that ?

I don't want to taking picture every half second or by bursting. 

GoPro Hero 6 Black Edition is very expensive ! It's the reason I prefer GoPro Hero 5 Black Edition.