Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Possible to shoot in 4k/60 fps in linear mode with hypersmooth?

I currently have the GoPro Hero Black 7, while I like it, I have the same freezing issues others have, where it wont turn on/off at the worse time when I really need it. I also dont like the barrel distortion (fish eye view) from shooting in wide mode so I always shoot in linear mode. With the Hero Black 7, the max resolution in linear mode is 2.7k. So in making the decision to see if it is worth upgrading to the Hero Black 8, I ask the question:

Will I be able to shoot in 4k/60fps in linear mode with hypersmooth enabled? I also see on the 8 there are different levels of hypersmooth. which ones, if any, will work in 4k/60fps linear mode?

Ive seen mention that the 7 batteries arent up to snuff for the 8, is that true?

Also, just out of curiousity, when taking photos with the 8, are they still only 4:3 or is there a 16:9 option?

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Possible to shoot in 4k/60 fps in linear mode with hypersmooth?

[ Edited ]

hi,

no.

4K 60fps Linear ---Hypersmooth "off"  (off - on - high - boost).

4K 60fps Wide  --- Hypersmooth "on"  (off - on - high - boost).

4K 30fps Linear --- Hypersmooth "boost" (off - on - high - boost).

4K 30fps Wide --- Hypersmooth "boost" (off - on - high - boost).

4K 30fps Superview --- Hypersmooth "on" (off - on - high - boost).

as per battery... hero7's fit in hero8 ...specs are the same.

but hero8 keep saying " for max peak performances use hero8 batteries".

hope this helps,

robert

Highlighted
Backpacker

@robert1326 wrote:

4K 60fps Linear ---Hypersmooth "off"  (off - on - high - boost).

strange as manual says:

Heads Up: HyperSmooth is unavailable when recording 4K60 video with
the Linear digital lens. It will use standard video stabilization in its place.

Highlighted
Hiker

Dang, is that someone that might be enabled with a future firmware update?

I guess Im not understanding why its such a big deal for GoPro to include all the availability for linear mode as for wide.

Highlighted
Hiker

Well, unavailable and off will end up in the same thing - no hypersmooth

Highlighted
Backpacker

[ Edited ]

puzzled me as well... didn't see this coming...

Highlighted
Backpacker

[ Edited ]

@jay-ell wrote:

Well, unavailable and off will end up in the same thing - no hypersmooth

...ok....and this phrase means what?

It will use standard video stabilization in its place. -- copied from Hero7?...for sure as Hero7 has normal and hypersmooth.

Highlighted
Hiker

@husker3in4 wrote:

Dang, is that someone that might be enabled with a future firmware update?

I guess Im not understanding why its such a big deal for GoPro to include all the availability for linear mode as for wide.

OK, the gopro has a 12 megapixel sensor - roughly 4000 pixels wide. by 3000 pixels high

UHD 4k has a resolution of 3840 by 2160.  Thats about 8 megapixels.  For wide this is jest cropped out of the image and it just copies across the area it needs.  Narrow does the same this except that it crops out a smaller area.

Linear Digital lens applies a pincushion distortion to the image captured from the sensor to straighten out the fisheye distortion created by the lens.  To do this it has to calculate where every pixel in the original  image will end up in the undistorted image and make sure that there are no blank spaces where pixels haven't been mapped to, interpolationg them from the surrounding pixels.  It has to do this for each pixel in the frame - every 8 million of them - for every frame in the video so that would be 480,000,000 pixels to recalculate and remap for each second of the video.

On top of that any level of stabilisation tracks movement of the camera, calculated how the image would have changed and cuts out the crop from a section of the image sothat it looks as if the camera has never moved.  It needs to detect the movement of the camera up, down, left, right, tilting, panning, rotating, calculate where this puts the required section of the image needed.  This is a calculation intensive operation that requires processor and memory.

The gopro has a state of the art image processor - but it is still not all that powerful in computational terms and there's a limit on how much it can do per cycle.  The amount of memory in a Gopro is also a finite resource, IIRC its 2GB.

So with limits on its processor and a finite amount of memory remapping 480 million pixels a second whilst performing realtime tracking of  the camera in 3d space and repositioning the "frame" 6o times a second might be a tad too much for the camera at the moment.

Might have to wait for 2 firmware upgrades.