Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Popping and crackling on the HERO8 audio

[ New ]

HERO8 Black, I have 3 of them, I tried them all, and all 3 have crackling and popping in the audio. External mic with the GoPro adapter; mic mounted inside the chin protected portion of the motorcycle helmet, camera on the front of the helmet chin.  I've re-formatted the SD cards, updated the software via the GoPro app....no change.  I see several other questions in GoPro Support with similar issues, but I've not found a solution here.  I can't use them like this.  What gives?

Backpacker

Re: Popping and crackling on the HERO8 audio

[ New ]

Any chance you could post a sample file so we can hear the audop crackling and popping so we can figure out what's causing it?

GoPro

[ New ]

@nobleblaze8376, is the audio popping sound observed when the camera is recording on its own without mount or accessories attached? 

Tourist

[ New ]

It's when mounted on the front of the motorcycle helmet, connected to the GoPro audio adapter and external mic.

Tourist

[ New ]

I will try to do that tonight

Tourist

[ New ]

here's a minute of video from this evening....all the pops and crackles are there, so the speaking can barely be made out..

Link:  https://youtu.be/-7_Ry9_vb8I

Again, the HERO8 is mounted on the front of the helmet chin, the GoPro audio adapter is in place, and an external mic is being used (taped to the inside of the chin portion of the helmet).  The camera was updated via the app 21 days ago, the card was formatted yesterday, a reset was also done yesterday.  Please help.

The HERO8 has some very annoying pops and crackles in the audio
Backpacker

[ New ]

So after viewing your clip and listening to the popping and crackling, it was noticable that when you went very slow around the corner it went away, when you started accelerating the popping and cackling got worse.  Im betting that when you're not on the bike the audio setup works just fine with no popping and cackling.

This would indicate that what's actually happening is "Overdrive".  Your bike engine noise and wind noise is being picked up by your mic (far too well) and if you had a peak meter you'd see that the noise exceeds the tolerance levels the mic can handle.  As a result the audio is being cut and you're getting drop outs and popping noises.  This is also why it's happening across multiple units as the cause is the same (as is the effect).  

I'm guesing that you're using a lavalier type microphone as that's what people tend to use due to their small size.  What people don't realize is that these types of microphone are actually very very sensative and pick up noise very easily.  This is the very reason they are used by presenters, interviewers etc.  Their small size, not being too noticable and their audio gain is perfect for studio use.  What isn't obviously visible is the fact they are usually run through a transmitter that has adjustable sound levels, noise filters, on both the transmitter and the receiver.  These can also be adjusted on the fly by producers remotely (hence the size of the transmitter units compared to prosumer level units for sale).  .  When you plug the lavalier microphone directly into a GoPro, you don't have those adjustment options at all.  So you end up overdriving the microphone input and end up with the popping and cackling that you're hearing.

There are some things you can do to help with the issue.  You may not like them but they are just the basic facts.

1:  Record audio seperately.  This is actually what professional producers usually do for moto vlogging.  Mount your GoPro but use a secondary audio recorder for audio.  This not only allows you to have direct control over the audio levels, but audio recorders sometimes have their own auto peak levels and will reduce sensativity of the unit on the fly.  

2:  If you don't want to use a seperate audio recorder, then change your mic.  It's just too sensative for what you're trying to do.  Try researching to see if there's a microphone with adjustable sound levels specifically for moto vlogging on a bike.  

3:  Turn your wind settings to "Off" on your GoPro.  This will help with "some" of the popping as it will stop the GoPro from trying to cut the audio due to excessive wind noise.  However note that overdrive will still occur if the mic it too sensative.  

4:  Make sure you're using the right mic settings if available.  The setting options escape me at the moment, but I know one of the options has a 10 or 20+ Db gain and make sure this is not selected.  You want less sound, not more.  

5:  Using a denser foam screen on your mic will help insulate it from some sound, but it's not the best optoin as denser foam will also allow for more conductive sound gain.  However it's an option to explore, especially if your current foam cover is too thin.

At the end of the day, your issue is being caused by excessive noise and you need to reduce the amount of noise reaching your mic, switch to a less sensative mic or run the mic through a device which will allow you to adjust the peak audio levels.

Hope the above helps and I hope you can come up with a solution based on the above.  If I think of anything else or come across information that will help, I'll just post it here.

Good Luck!

Tourist

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx 

Thanks for all that info.  Makes sense.  I called and spoke with the folks at Sweetwater Sound, and I'm going to get a DR10L Digital Audio Recorder and a good mic (the Countryman Series B3W4FF05BSR B3 Omni Lav) and give that a try.  It will allow me to turn down or up the sound input, and this recorder also will record 2 separate channels with one turned down 10 db. 

Appreciate the ideas.  I'll try it out and report back in a couple weeks..

Tourist

[ New ]

...just wanted to offer some follow-up here.

@irishmanpdx you were right on with this.

I called Sweetwater Sound and bought an excellent digital recorder (DR10L Digital Audio Recorder) and a very good lav mic (B3W4FF05BSR B3 Omni Lav, Senn EW, W4)....yes, >$300 total....but got exactly what I was hoping for.  The 3 cameras do their recording very well, and this audio recording set up (mic inside the chin portion of the helmet, plugged into the recorder velcroed to the side of the helmet) works perfectly, with no distorsion, cracks, pops, etc.

Thank you!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Glad you got things sorted.  You know, it would probably make a very good video if you showed people your original clip, and then showed them the setup that you used to get your perfect audio.  I'm betting a lot of people would find it very helpful and it would drive a few more views to your YouTube channel.  

Good Luck and don't forget to enter the GoPro Awards!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, great you solved your audio crackling as listening to your original clip, I have exactly the same issue but when I see so many bloggers without having to go to the expense of the mic you purchased, I am somewhat reluctant to trial this, was it really worth the bucks and could you please send some pics of your set up and short clip to understand the difference?

Tourist

[ New ]

Having purchased the media mod to solve this, then bought the mic adapter thinking it has to be that, the crackling and poor quality when riding is pathethic having spent so much to get this right. Pointyless posting a video with audio as it is exactly the same problem as the originator of this post and many other posts I see samples of with the same Gopro? What is Gopro doing about this as I never had this with my Hero4 and plugging a lavier mic directly in to the Hero4, it worked great? I have upgraded my hardware but why is the Gopro8 so bad in quality with sound. Before you ask, it is great when testing at home but as soon as the bike picks up any speed, the sound just distorts and crackles crazy - come on Gopro, sort this out. I DO NOT REALLY WEANT TO PURCHASE AN EXTERNAL RECORDER AND ADDITIONAL MICS

Tourist

[ New ]

Another thought, would it help if I blanked out the side and front mics on the Gopro8 - I can use those plaster like earplugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CKCX9K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, any thoughts as would that help block out the external sounds being picked up by the Gopro mics?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Problem with earlier GoPro's, including the 4, was that the sound quality just wasn't that great.  Blogger, musicians, etc wanted better sound quality and they got it eventually.  This means the mics are more sensative and when used in motorsports you get overdrive which causes distortion and audio cut outs.

Have you tried using something like a WindSlayer?  It's a foam cover that fits over the GoPro and cuts down on wind noise.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks but I have tried foam and dead cat but problem persists, can you advise would blocking the GoPro camera mics help and leave the Lanier mic as the single source?
Tourist

[ New ]

And, as I do not want any sound source to the Gopro8 mics, and only audio from the helmet mic, would not covering up the side and front mic help?

Backpacker

[ New ]

If you have a lavalier mic plugged in, then that's the only mic that's in use.  So taping over the other mics won't do a thing since they are not active. 

The problem is that lavalier mics may be small, but they are extremely sensitive in order to pick up vocals, so they are easily overpowered by ambient noise.  When you see someone being interviewed using one, what you're not seeing is the fact there are numerous electronic sound filters built into the two large boxes (usually strapped to their back or down the leg of a boot).  These have studio controlled gain levels, filters, remote access for adjusting both, a secondary mic to monitor ambient sound levels and apply a filter to the primary source and a delay depending on the distance from eachother.  Even at that, interviewers are still affected by ambient noise (and that's just "on the street" interviews, now being used on a very loud motorbike).

You can see the solution that was given, that will be your best option.  

Tourist

[ New ]

Disappointing to note I have to spend a further £300 to fix this having already spend hundreds of pounds on the Gopro8 and hundreds on the media mod and mic adaptor that do nothing to stop the poor quality of sound? Why hasn't Gopro8 warned buyers of this known issue and even more pertinent, why haven't Gopro fixed this with a real solution instead of using your customers as guinea pigs to solve your issues?

Backpacker

[ New ]

You spent hundreds on a media mod and hundreds on a mic adapter?  Why would you buy a media mod if you have a mic adapter or vice versa?  And why did you spend hundreds on them when they are both under 100 each? 

You're saying that GoPro should print a large warning on their device that says "Exposing microphones to sounds that exceed the DB limit will cause overdrive?".  The same thing that affects every single microphone on the planet?  I don't think so. Also GoPro have no control over what mic you decided to purchase and plug into your GoPro.  Cheap mics try to amplify sound without any type of gain control, expensive mics have gain control options.  So the simple solution with be a mic with gain control.

The camera (as with every other device on the planet) performs well within acceptable limits.  When you expose the camera to an environment outside of those limits, then you need to do your research on how best to equip your device to deal with those limits.  Whether that device be a camera, car, drone, TV, mp3 player, they all have limits as to what they can do, anything outside of those limits will require aftermarket parts, once you go down that route you need to do the research to ensure you're planning those parts effectively so they work the way you want them to.  

Tourist

[ New ]
That was a really constructive and thoughtful reply, NOT!

I shall eBay the rubbish you sold me and revert to my Hero4, at least works and is fit for purpose.
Backpacker

[ New ]

I have replied to you several times now, explained to you the issue that you're having that's caused by using the incorrect type of microphone, I have also given you links to a professional setup you can use to bypass the problem, I've given you advice on needing to do the research on options before purchasing and that's the best reply you can come up with.

Try this "Thank you".

The problem is, you're just someone who wants to complain, whine and blame everyone else but themself for your own poor decision making skills.  You also seem to have a fairly unrealistic grasp of reality (I didn't sell you any camera for instance, you bought a camera using your own inept decision making skills, yet somehow you think I sold you one... really?).

Enjoy making bad video's using a non stabilized camera with no GPS functions.  I'm sure the world will be queuing up to watch.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you - for making it very clear your after sales service and support is as poor as the audio of your products when used for motor sports
Backpacker

[ New ]

There's just not enough crayola in the world.....

Do you know what a public forum is?  Or how it works?

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes and please excuse me a moment whilst I get some popcorn
Backpacker

[ New ]

So.... then you DO realize that no one from GoPro has been talking to you.... right?

Also popcorn should not be used when on a pc on the forum, buttered fingerprints will end up on your keyboard.  Potato chips are for forum use, Popcorn should be for Youtube video's, perferably compliation video's. 

Stop making bad choices!