Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Poor quality out of Gopro 5 Black

I'm really concerned about the quality of the video that im getting out of my Gopro 5 Black. Last january during my ski season videos didnt come up as expected and I kind of ignored it. But now, im trying to record my wife's Pilates sessions so we can upload it to Youtube and no matter what setting I use the video quality is poor at best. x480 is not even a bit better than 4k. Same poor results just in a bigger screen. I have recorded/uploaded in 1080, 2070 and now recorded in 4k just to test but no improvements. I read in fhe community to use manual WB, manual metering, 30fps, low iso (400 is the lowest). I think the lens is not working properly. Doenst matter if the video is inside or outside it just looks like a really really old front facing camera of an old phone. Check my wife's youtube for proof where I have uploaded those videos Youtube channel

Last night I formatted the SD Card and also made sure the camera is running the latest update and tested it again: same results.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Poor quality out of Gopro 5 Black

Hi @fssaez,

If you're uploading the raw file please make sure that you are uploading the original file not the LRV file. 

Check your upload settings as well. 

If you are editing your video make sure to check your settings and export it as video optimized for web or YouTube. 

If you can share the raw file that would be much better. 

The link you posted isn't working by the way.

Regards,

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Graytree,

Thanks for pointing out the link. Since I cannot edit the original post here it is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3TzJlURoTHf8RQ3xCnb0bQ

If you're uploading the raw file please make sure that you are uploading the original file not the LRV file. 

Check your upload settings as well. 

The MP4 that I get out of the camera is already in bad quality. They are 

If you are editing your video make sure to check your settings and export it as video optimized for web or YouTube. 

Im using HitFilm express and even though I barely know how to edit they do have some preset options for youtube videos that im using.

If you can share the raw file that would be much better. 

I just recorded a 4k 30fps , protune with Gopro color, Auto WB, 400 iso and low sharpness. 

The video is still uploading straight from the gopro. Ignore the profile picture lol

Thanks!

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks @fssaez,

The video indoor looks normal since there is no enough light. 
For the video outdoor can you upload it on any cloud storage so that we can check the original quality?

You might want to consider the SD card brand and model you're using: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308
Try to use ISO 400 min 800Max
Try to use artificial lights.

Use medium to high sharpness. 

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for the feedback.

The video indoor looks normal since there is no enough light. 

IN the video indoor there actually is a lot of light at least... phone seem to stream live much better than the 4k in the gopro at least.

For the video outdoor can you upload it on any cloud storage so that we can check the original quality?
The outside videos are too big tbut ill try to upload them at night when the internet is not so crowded.

You might want to consider the SD card brand and model you're using: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308

The SD Card is a Sandisk Extreme Plus 32gb and its approved in the list for the gopro5 black.

Try to use ISO 400 min 800Max

I can only set max and its set to 400. More will add even more grain effect.

Try to use artificial lights.

I do turn on the room light and removed the curtains to let even more light in.

Use medium to high sharpness. 

I think one of the videos was recorded in High sharpness. Only the latest one was low.. And the one I recorded yesterday in 4k that I wont even upload because I just hate the way it looks.

On a side not I do know that maybe the gopro is not meant for this... but as I said in my first post, my ski videos didnt look good at all. I actually stopped using it after 2 days and went with one of my friend's gopros for the rest of the week. Im pretty sure the lens in the camera, or software for that matter, is not working as it should. The outside video is proof of that. Plenty of light and colors.