Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Poor External Mic Quality for Hero5 Black

@hurricaneforce Did you ever resolve this? I recently bought a H5B and mounted it, a Sony lav mic and that awful brick on my helmet. The whole setup has been utter dog ****. When I power it on I get about 5 seconds of audio before all audio becomes a hiss. This has persisted regardless of audio setting. I have other issues with the camera that we won't get into.

I think I'll end up buying a different action cam and trying this out in a parody of "Will it Blend.."
Tourist

Just scroll back a few posts ( like u should have done before you posted this) it'll provide u with all the answers you seek.
Tourist

lol a Rode? Don't be ridiculous.

This thread has not found a sufficient answer for everyday motovlogging.
Highlighted
Tourist

Sadly, the only solution I have come up with is selling my hero 5s and replacing them witg a pair of Sony x3000s. There are definitely some things i prefer abput the hero 5, but no feature on the planet is more valuable than crisp, quality video with crisp, quality audio. The Sony (and the hero 4) provides both of those with zero issues. Not to mention the Sony has 4k image stabilization and films at a much higher bitrate.

After over 15 different gopros and 20k clips shot with gopros over 7 years, this audio issue, along with the firmware that requires gopro-only batteries, im done with gopro. I know this doesnt help anyone solve their audii issues, but hipefully gopro will learn from their mistakes so other future customers don't get burned.

Yesterday i sold both my hero 5s and im not looking back and I'll never own another gopro product again. So far ice shot hundreds of clips witg the Sony with zero dropped audio, zero handling noise, 4k image stabilization, and much higher image quality.

If you have a hero 4 black, hang on to it the hero 5 is one step forward and two steps backward .