Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Poor External Mic Quality for Hero5 Black

I have a Rode smartLav+, which is decent quality and very cheap.

However, don't forget to buy also the adapter, since the jack is originally for iPhones.

That's my setup to fit into a helmet.

But any Lavaler microphone with the correct jack will do.

PS : little tip to avoid "pop" sounds when you speak : face the microphone down, away from your mouth,

Tourist

Thanks @spadluv  I'll look into that one. I have tried the mic in several different positions and the results are the same. The problem is when speeds are over 15-20 mph that is when the sound starts breaking up really bad. Like I said in my original post, my friend that has a Sony mic that he uses with great success on his Hero 4, but has the same issues as I do when he attaches it to his 5 Black. This brings me to the conclusion that the issue may not be so much with the camera, but with the USB-C adaptor that is made for the 5 Black.

Oh and @chrisediting a GoPro is a video camera that takes video and pictures. It is not specifically made just for "Action Sports", people have used them for several other things. So if taking video on a motorcycle going at speed, while trying to dodge morons that have no concept on how to drive while the rider is watching out for themselves and trying to entertain an audience not considered action, then GoPro needs to restrict who they sell the camera to.

Hiker

My use is for mountain biking, but sometimes it's going really fast (over 40 mph).

Your solution might be in post editing.

Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_OJMM4En24

I did the edit.

Camera is a Hero 5 Black on a chest mount (way too much wind when mounted on a helmet).

No external mic.

There is a little bit of work in post production. If you use Final Cut Pro X, I can tell you how I do it.

Short edit of my crazy race run Megavalanche 2016 at La Réunion Island. Got a bunch of mechanicals, almost got hit by a truck, and more craziness happened during this race. But I finished 3rd and I'm stocked ! Here is the story behind the truck : The dad of a racer upfront tried a new technic to ...
Hiker

@chrisediting wrote:

This ios the list of mics @hurricaneforce.

• Shure SM57
  • Sennheiser MD421
  • Shure SM58
  • Shure SM7B
  • Electrovoice Re20

The SM57 and SM58 are non-powered mics, that is to say they don't require phantom power.  If your helmet mic is a powered mic, my guess is that it may be outputting a higher level than the Hero 5 is expecting.

OR, more likely IMO, the noise reduction algorithms in the Hero5 are "hearing" the wind as noise and limiting/shutting the mic briefly so the video has silence instead of noise.   I don't have my Hero5 in front of me, but recall there are settings you can use to tell it what kind and level of noise reduction it should apply.  I'd recommend playing with those settings, and maybe disable their audio processing all together, to see what gives the best results.

Highlighted
Anonymous

@chrisediting wrote:

Yes @Anonymous sorry about this.

But, the GoPro is more made for action sports,

and not really for vlogging. 

I understand that the GoPro is an action camera and i use it that way. But also in my case, audio is important so i like to use an mic.

The mic's in your list are all mic's that can fit on an tripod. not really usable with an action camera.

Tourist

I feel your pain. We've had the past 5 versions of GoPros, and our hero 5s by far have the worst audio. We use them for action sports, but we also use them for vlogging. Our hero 4B was 100x better in the audio department. WAY too much handling noise on the H5B, and the inability to run any externalc mic you want is very frustrating. We've been loyal GoPro users for years and we've filmed over 20k video files with them. However, we're about ready to jump ship after having too many videos ruined with poor audio with our H5B. Best of luck, and be sure to post up if you have any solutions.

Hiker

I suspect there have been some cameras with faulty insides regarding the mics.

I own a GP Hero 5 Black and have used it a few times now for stage shoots, and the other day my daughter wore it on her head while downhill tubing with her friend.  

The audio was *INCREDIBLE*.  Without a protective case, I would have thought I'd b hearing a TON of wind noise, but to the contrary, I heard virtual *NO* wind noise, and could hear their voices and screams great! (except when they whispered)... very very impressive, I'm guessing the internal algorithms constantly monitored the different mics and balanced levels real-time as they spun around?

Since so many people on here are complaining about horrific audio, I've gotta think there must be some defective builds, and you might want to try exchange it for another?

Hiker

[ Edited ]

In my case, the audio WAS incredible. Check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_OJMM4En24

Hero 5 Black on the chest mount without an external mic with speed up to 70km/h.

However, it started to get really weird, and check out the latest result https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lohwLUzyCPM

Now it seems like the cam doesn't know anymore which mic to use. 

Short edit of my crazy race run Megavalanche 2016 at La Réunion Island. Got a bunch of mechanicals, almost got hit by a truck, and more craziness happened during this race. But I finished 3rd and I'm stocked ! Here is the story behind the truck : The dad of a racer upfront tried a new technic to ...
Lost my chain on the first run. Here is the second run, going flat out without a chain in the sickest single track of Vallnord. Sorry if I can reveal exactly the location of this trail, but it's perfect for technical mountain bike training. Even if Vallnord secret trails are not so secret anymore