Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Rif.: Please tell me the video compression format of HERO9 Black in MAX lens mode.

[ New ]

Hi all,

I just bought the camera with MAX lens mod and noticed it as well.

The awkward part is that even the camera itself doesen't tell you what resolution/framerate is HEVC/H265 only when selected (and this happens while using the standard lens, so it's a feature), so one needs to test each one and see the results.

I posted this issue on Reddit as well, just to spread the word.

I really hope GoPro will fix that in a future firmware update, and let's hope that even the official Support link will be updated too!

Tourist

Rif.: Please tell me the video compression format of HERO9 Black in MAX lens mode.

[ New ]

After a few tests I discovered that only these 2 options are encoded in AVC/H264

• 2.7K 16:9 60fps
  • 1080 16:9 60fps

All the other resolutions and framerates are encoded in HEVC/H265

Tourist

[ New ]

I just noticed that the official Support page post doesen't show 1440p 4:3 for Standard lens as well, HEVC for all framerates.

For anyone interested I compiled a spreadsheet with an overview of the two encoders with both lenses, for NTSC framerate frequencies:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18Cimp19H1DNLzRb9-OD1NGpgaF0GNTKEJuDzoQQykNQ/edit?usp=sharing

I don't know if it's permitted to post external links, I try!

Hiker

[ New ]

@andreabonez 

You are a genius

Thank you for creating the list.

@aragon1006 

Can't you do such a simple task?

Please list the file compression formats in MAX lens mode on the following URL page as soon as possible.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HEVC-Explained/ta-p/394284

Please update the article as soon as possible.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you!

I hope I didn't make any mistakes, if you find something wrong let me know!
Sightseer

Re: Please tell me the video compression format of HERO9 Black in MAX lens mode.

[ New ]

Nice idea, I like it.