Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Picture taken not in the same as what is seen on the display

I have recently noticed that some pictures i take (underwater) come out differently in proportion than what i see in the display. For example i took a few pictures of my fellow diver next to a turtle (and while taking the picture i could see both of them in the display). After the dive when trying to see the pictures (on the computer) the picture was different as it cut did not include half of the diver. I have noticed this in several other occasions but it just hit me when i saw this specific example since it was very weird to have a picture that was not what i could see in the display screen. Any suggestions / ideas? Please bare in mind i am very new to using GOPRO.

Thank you!!!!

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Picture taken not in the same as what is seen on the display

That is odd. It looks like a full frame picture so whatever reason, the display isn't accurately lining up to the photo. I always use WIDE and then just correct distortion in post with my editor (BTW, even though I have Lightroom and Photoshop, I've found SnapSeed (free app by Google) on my mobile device gives me just as good of editing and takes a lot less time).

I can only assume this has something to do with the Linear mode so the only advice I can give you is to try shooting in Wide. Wide seems to give a little better detail, especially at the edges, anyway.

One last comment on your picture. You might want to set your ISO limit to 800. It looks like this picture has a little more noise and light exposure than it needs. Your max must be set to 1600 as this picture has an ISO of 938 with a shutter speed of 1/240. A lower ISO and a slightly slower shutter will give you similar results but with a little more detail, less noise, and maybe less blow out on the highlights. Dropping the ev a bit might also work.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

does this only happen when you're out. can you replicate your issue.?

Explorer

How are you viewing (what program) the picture? Some programs, including Quik I believe, display in 16:9 and not 4:3. Since the picture is 4:3, often you will get a cropping of the top and bottom of the picture when viewing it.
Tourist

It happened several times but randomly... or maybe i just didn't notice it that much. This time due to the fact that the turtle and the diver were very close to me i took the picture (seeing that both objects were in the frame) but it came out as the file attached... :S (i decreased the size of the file attached since it wouldn't let me upload it).

I wanted to see if anyone else has encounter such problem before and has a solution... 

GOPR0269.JPG
Tourist

With the Windows Photo Viewer... 

Explorer

I've never had this happen. What FOV were you using?
Adventurer

Thank you. maybe Dan or the mod may have a better solution to resolve the issue at hand  BTW Awesome photo. love to hear the outcome so I'll be on the side lines  watching the thread.

FISH

Tourist

Thank you all for the responses. I am using a Linear FOV (no zoom at all). It keeps happening now even more. I take pictures and while on the display screen before taking the picture looks ok, then the picture i took seems like it has been cut... I must be doing something wrong.  

GOPR0489.jpg