Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Picture quality

[ New ]

Hello,

could you help me with setup Go Pro Hero 9, I try use 5k30p (ISO100) with high bitrate for best results but quality ist worst when I use Samsung S20+ in 4K60p this same condition. Go Pro have very low details it is looking like from old digital cameras, and automatic white balance didn't work... 

Go Pro Hero9:gopro9.jpg

Samsung S20+samsung.jpg

GoPro

Re: Picture quality

[ New ]

Hi @arkadiuszs6315

What version is the camera on?

Do you observe the same when using other modes?

What are the rest of the settings used?

You may also check Advanced Protune Controls Explained

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi aragon1006,

Version number in camera is 1.60.

I observe the same in all modes, my protune settigs:

Bit rate - High

Shutter - auto

EV - 0

White balance - auto

ISO - min 100 - max 800

Sharpness - medium (high is without details)

Color - GoPro

RAW audio - off

Wind - auto 

I checked different resolution and fps, I have this same very bad video quality. 

I bought it 2 days ago and I'm very disapointed this camera. I thought when I buy the latest one, I will get the highest quality product.

Thanks

Nomad

[ New ]

I say you'd better take it outside on a sunny day and take some photos, objects that are too close will be blurry, but the hero 9 is amazing!

https://gopro.com/v/qzJ84aE0a0Nyr

Nomad

[ New ]
Nomad

[ New ]

If you're testing the camera indoors, that's your problem, you need more light! As much light as possible. It is an action camera that does best outdoors in the daylight.

And keep in mind you will not get a sharp image on objects closer than 3 to 4 feet away.

You would need a macro lens for this

Tourist

[ New ]

In this frame it is enough light, and please tell me where is details?

If you want say profesional action camera is worse than a regular cell phone, I can't accept it.

gopro91.jpg
Backpacker

[ New ]

You're trying to compare a $750 camera phone with 4 lenses to a single lens $350 action camera.  Your first example you were trying to film a monitor with the camera with a terrible choice of settings and wondering why the  picture quality wasn't good enough.

So I'd suggest stop using the GoPro, return it for a refund.  Then strap your Samsung S20 to your head and use that as your action camera.  See if it's waterproof to 33 feet when you go cliff diving!  Or keep your action camera and complain that you can't make phone calls on it!

Tourist

[ New ]

You have right, I can't compare profesional action camera with biger sensor and only dedicated to video recording to ordinary phone with smaler sensor. I can't understand why GoPro can made that weak product in 2020, but marketing they have on the highest level. I bought it because I was watching advertising materials that have nothing to do with reality.

Nomad

[ New ]

@arkadiuszs6315 wrote:

In this frame it is enough light, and please tell me where is details?

If you want say profesional action camera is worse than a regular cell phone, I can't accept it.

Looks good to me for a gopro.

Nomad

[ New ]

Try using a different app for frame grabs, not the gopro quik app

I find if I use my Samsung video player and grab frames in that they are clearer

I even frame grab from 4k 15x timewarp with fair clarity using the built in app for my Samsung. I'll show examples.

You need practice, when I first bought my hero 7, I was not impressed, at first, until I got a lot of practice, I bought the hero 9 and a better tablet, and now I am very impressed.

I will make up some samples and try to share my methods and settings as best as I can.

Nomad

[ New ]

Here is a good example.

I think the detail is pretty excellent!

This is a 15x timewarp by the way, so it's pretty amazing how detailed the frame grabs are!

https://gopro.com/v/qzJKGDky5q4oZ

And a frame

VideoCapture_20210702-172826.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

And another example.

I personally think the quality is incredible!

VideoCapture_20210702-173342.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

Both examples were grabbed from the same 4k -15x timewarp.

If that's bad quality, I must be nuts!

Tourist

[ New ]

It looking pretty nice, could you send me your settings for video?

Nomad

[ New ]

@arkadiuszs6315 

Mode: Timewarp (I use the same settings for video as well)

Resolution: 4K

Lens: Wide

Speed (in my example): 15x

EV Comp: -1.0

White Balance: 5500K

ISO Min: 100

ISO Max: 1600

Sharpness: Medium

Color: Flat

Settings not mentioned were left on default

When shooting standard video, I use the same settings, and I rarely shoot in 5K because it's just unconventional, but a cool flex on GoPro's part.

Nomad

[ New ]

When shooting indoors, try changing White Balance to 2800K or 3200K, in most cases this works well in artificial lighting. But remember, objects too close will be out of focus, and the lower the light, the worse it will look.

Nomad

[ New ]

@arkadiuszs6315 

My indoor video settings for my "POV activity" 😉🙂

Mode: Video

Resolution: 4K/30

Lens: Wide

Hypersmooth: High

Bitrate: High

Shutter: 1/120 (1/240 results in crisper image, but requires a LOT of light)

White Balance: 2800K

ISO Min: 200

ISO Max: 800

Sharpness: Medium

Color: Flat

Again, settings not listed were left at their defaults

I cannot share an example at the moment as my POV work is of an adult nature, but I will say that I am impressed with the quality.

Nomad

[ New ]

Also, when using artificial lighting, try to make sure all your bulbs have the same Kelvin rating.

The LED bulbs I am using say 2700K on them, and the closest the gopro has is 2800K which works perfectly in my case.

There is a lot of practice involved, but I'm confident that if you take the time to get to know your camera, you too will be impressed.

Best of luck to you!