Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Panning Issue on Gopro Hero8

[ New ]

Panning and any slow camera movement with hero8 is almost impossible for me. Footage is always stuttering and weird. It is just like same issue of the Hero 7 which was resolved with the update. My camera has the latest update (v1.60). I did manuel update, reset the camera, tried all stabilization settings, different frame rates etc. Result is always same, useless footage if you are trying to do some panning and small movements. Even my phone xiaomi mi8 can do better job with the stabilization while panning. I wonder if it is same for everybody or just my gopro is faulty.

Adventurer

Re: Panning Issue on Gopro Hero8

[ New ]

no I get with a return .mine has other issues not panning like the FW 1.20  H7 they fixed.

Tourist

[ New ]
they fixed for hero7 but for 8 it is still there and it ruins most of my footage.
Adventurer

[ New ]

wherever you bought it get a new one.

Tourist

[ New ]

after several trial, I realized that the most problematic one is 4K. If you shoot on 2.7k, it is acceptable but if you shot 4K with a slow-smooth camera movement, your footage will be far from being smooth. It is like your camera movement increasing the speed suddenly and slowing suddenly, it is totally unusable.

Adventurer

[ New ]

post footage up

Tourist

[ New ]

This is not my footage but my experience with 4K boost on is totally same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn5XeIUbEKA

GOPro Hero Black 8 It has problems panning due to stabilization, see image
Backpacker

[ New ]

This is actually an issue caused by the EIS cropping the image and when panning, the image crop vs stabilization isn't as smooth as it should be. 

If your GoPro is mounted on a tripod or a steady mount, try lowering or disabling the EIS (hypersmooth) and this will solve the issue.  Hopefully there will be a firmware update at some stage to fix this.

Adventurer

[ New ]

@srdncs  you said you used all resolutions and fps as well all hypersmooth. Please tell me the exact setting you are on. then I shall Replicate the same the best I can then say what was just said that. was mentioned

4K24      Wide         on              N/A           1.0X        Off    

res/fps   fov    Hypersmooth    \lowlight   zoom   clips 

Protunes

Bitrate   shutter      ev comp   white balance  Iso min  iso max  sharpness     color  

high        Auto          0.00          Auto                  100        1600      Med           gopro

Hiker

[ New ]
Same problem with my gopro. And i have tried 3 different cameras....
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @blognok

If you haven't yet, please reach out to our Support Team regarding this.

It will be best if you can share some sample files with them.

You may submit a request for a callback through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, or initiate a chat session with one of our representatives.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
for me, it seems ok if I don't use the boost mode. with boost mode, panning is impossible. are you keeping boost on or only hypersmooth high mode?
Hiker

[ New ]
I've tried every kind of eis settings. Boost has the worst panning. Disable much better but the issue is still there. 
Hiker

Rif.: Panning Issue on Gopro Hero8

[ New ]

I've talked with gopro support, and finally they've admitted a problem with eis and panning, that will be solved with the next firmware update. They don't know the date but they working on it.

Same issue of the gopro 7 solved by a firmware update.

Bye

Backpacker

[ New ]

hi,

sadly is here the issue.

I review my panning tests - the boost panning was not as slow as in this tests - see from timestamp 04:06 where the boost 4K25fps is

https://youtu.be/jdCR9qKH9dk

on my phone those choppy frames are not visible - I think YouTube compression/decompression has a lot to do with.

but I repeated the test with a slow continuous panning, and yes those jumps are here.

4K 25fps L and W , boost....

as in all my chopstick tests, the chopstick is fixed on the camera under the lens.

https://youtu.be/glNuDpzolV8

thank you,

robert

gopro hero 84K @ 25fpsLinear and Widehypersmooth boostcontinuous slow panning (panorama)jumping frames.
Tourist

[ New ]

@blognok did you hear anything from GoPro on the fix?

Hiker

[ New ]
Only that they're working on a new firmware... But no date...
Hiker

[ New ]
Gopro mi sta molto deludendo... 400 euro e problemi del genere non me li sarei mai aspettati. E ormai sono passati mesi.