Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Pairing Hero Session

I was finally able to get my Hero Session to pair again!

I recieved this used Hero Session (almost exactly like a Hero4 Session- they discontinued the Hero4 Session for a cheaper Hero Session and a better Hero5 Session. The Hero Session is basicly the Hero4 Session re-packaged, as far as I can tell)

I can't give all the links to make this happen, but if your search you will find them. I put a few below. Here's the gist on what it took. No certain order.

• Reset the wi-fi on the camera.
  • Remove the camera from the app.
  • Forget the bluetooth and wi-fi on your phone (may not need to/be able to remove the wi-fi from you phone - I couldn't from my iPhone b/c the camera doesn't show up unless the wi-fi is turned on on the camera).
  • Update the firmware on the camera.

Links

The above steps are suggested all over the support forum pages. After doing all this again and again I was still getting an "Epic Fail" message when trying to pair. Was starting to wonder if something was broken in the Bluetooth or wireless on the camera.

Finally, I reformatted the SD card. I can't remember if this was suggested, hinted at, or if I was my own idea. After this, still failed to pair them, but deleted everything off the SD card. Tried again and worked!

Hope this helps someone so they don't have to go through what I've been through over the last several days. I've been home sick and so, between moments of delirium, I was able to have time to battle this out.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Pairing Hero Session

The card can be formatted inside the Session (Hero4) but you need to use the mobile app. Formatting (full, not quick) in your computer is always a good idea and should be done periodically to repair any bad sectors on the card.

I asked about the formatting because I didn't understand when you wrote, "After this (formatting, per previous sentence), still failed to pair them, but deleted everything off the SD card". Formatting should have wiped the card clean so I'm not sure what you were able to delete.

A faulty (corrupt) SD card has tremendous impact on the camera, and not just with recording. 99% of all issues are corrected with a different recommended or formatted SD card.

Not sure about the inability to connect to the computer. I've had this issue too. Changing the cable and USB port didn't help. Strangely though, sometimes it does connect. I figure it's a driver issue. I always use a USB 3.0 adapter anyway because it's much faster, but the few times I have connected with the cable I have seen this issue.

Anyway, glad you got the Wi-Fi issue resolved.

Regards,
Daniel

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Glad to hear you got it working.

Hero Session and Hero4 Session are identical. It's not a cheaper version they just stopped including the additional low profile frame.

You wrote that you formatted the SD card and then deleted everything? I assume you mean you formatted in the camera and not your computer. Formatting deletes everything, but if you do it in the camera it will create the necessary folders once complete.
Highlighted
Tourist

Daniel,

No, I formatted the SD card on my computer. When I put a blank SD card into the camera it creates the folders it needs. I have not seen the option of formatting the SD card inside the camera. Maybe it’s there, I just have not seen it.

I can’t tell you for sure, but because the camera will not operate without the SD card, I started thinking that if somehow the SD card is corrupt camera will not operate correctly. So that’s why I formatted the SD card and then put it in the camera and things seem to work after that.

Also, I have not been able to get my laptop to recognize the camera to download the images using the USB cable. I had to get an SD card adapter to take the SD card out of the camera and put it into the laptop to get the images.

Best,
Mark
Highlighted
Explorer

The card can be formatted inside the Session (Hero4) but you need to use the mobile app. Formatting (full, not quick) in your computer is always a good idea and should be done periodically to repair any bad sectors on the card.

I asked about the formatting because I didn't understand when you wrote, "After this (formatting, per previous sentence), still failed to pair them, but deleted everything off the SD card". Formatting should have wiped the card clean so I'm not sure what you were able to delete.

A faulty (corrupt) SD card has tremendous impact on the camera, and not just with recording. 99% of all issues are corrected with a different recommended or formatted SD card.

Not sure about the inability to connect to the computer. I've had this issue too. Changing the cable and USB port didn't help. Strangely though, sometimes it does connect. I figure it's a driver issue. I always use a USB 3.0 adapter anyway because it's much faster, but the few times I have connected with the cable I have seen this issue.

Anyway, glad you got the Wi-Fi issue resolved.

Regards,
Daniel