Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

POV pointer constantly shifting to the left

[ New ]

If recording longer 360videos, with a MAX, of durations multiple times of 8min, then I can see clearly that the point of view pointer is constantly shifting to the left. That means the scene is slowly but constantly rotating counterclockwise to the left .

This happens to us if exporting the clips on OSX10.14.6 with GoPro-Player 1.0.2

can anyone confirm , or is it possibly fixed in a newer version (without risking any other dramas).

Nomad

Re: POV pointer constantly shifting to the left

[ New ]

This is most likely an issue with the gyro in the camera, I have the same issue with one of my GoPro Fusions.  You may want to reflash the firmware on your camera.  GoPro need to release a calibration tool with their next camera.  Also see if you have an orientation lock or world lock option on your camera.

GoPro

[ New ]

@bluewater86456, we've recently released v1.0.4 for the GoPro Player (macOSX) which includes several bug fixes and improvements. You can find more information about the software updates here: GoPro Player/GoPro MAX Exporter: Release Notes

Hiker

[ New ]

thank you for the hints. I will give it a try tonight.

But for the moment: What is new in 1.0.4 ?

There is absolutely nothing mentioned in the given link, except ..... new fixes and improvements..... what in fact are they ?

I will not risk anything, and crash our system like the "update" of the Win-Exporter did (there has been no way back ...shame on gopro).... and the OSX-Player behaves the same ... updating is a one-way-road ... so I am warned

Hiker

[ New ]

..well, finally i took the risk and upgraded to 1.0.5 (of course not without a prior full image of our system).

(no one answered about the real benefits of the V1.04 / 1.0.5)

And unfortunately , as one could expect, it did not change anything.

The longer recordings (in the meantime i did more of them) still are constantly shifting / rotating to the left .

So, it is not a problem of the desktopsoftware, but more a small failure of the camera itself.

It looks to me that it is, matematically spoken, a chain of errors. Maybe the gyrosensor gives every time a tiny error which is not noticeable in short clips. But the longer the scene is , the more the error is added (frame by frame).

but at least the upgrade did not make anything worse then before, so there is plenty of room for improvement for the developers next year (and we go on producing with our fusion)

merry christmas

Hiker

[ New ]

Happy new year to you all..

let's hope that everyone at gopro is now going on to comply their promises.

In the meantime I found another interesting problem about the slowly leftshifting/leftrotating longer recordings.

The 4ch ambisonics-sound is shifting /rotating as well !!

As , the microphones remain stable all the time (as the whole camera itself), it must be a erroneous calculation by the camera.

As I am reading/extracting the native 4ch audiotrack directly from the *.360files itself, without any goprosoftware, it looks like the 4ch-sound is not the native one recorded by the 4 mics, but it is a precalculated and already (falsely) coded ambisonics track.

So , is there anyone with experience how to edit the WYZX ambisoncs track in an editingsoftware like resolve or (if nothing else works) in premierepro ?

How can I edit the xyz (audio) axis ?

Hiker

[ New ]
I have this same issue with longer videos. Super annoying especially since I have a fixed camera. I'm using the GoPro Player 1.0.5 on Mac. Should be simple to replicate. Just start recording with the camera sitting still and let it go for a while. The footage is split in 8GB chunks. I went for 30 minutes or so. Definitely a bug.
Hiker

[ New ]
I checked playback footage in the camera and it behaves normally. This would indicated a GoPro Player bug.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @swooshdave and @bluewater86456. Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We'd like to take a closer look at the issue. It would be best to get in touch with our Support team so we can gather more details. 

We have recently made a change in our contact method. To connect with Support, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and fill out the form with the needed details. Once done, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number and to have access to your MAX, MAX footage and computer during the interaction. 

Hiker

[ New ]
I tried to use the Contact Us page and initiated a chat but was redirected to the Feedback page. Hopefully this gets routed to the correct party.
Hiker

[ New ]
I updated my Max to 01.35 and retested. Same result. I did submit a bug so hopefully someone is looking into this.
Hiker

[ New ]

@jefft I've tried to reach out to GoPro support on this one, is there anything you can do?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @swooshdave. The latest version of the GoPro MAX firmware is 1.4. Do you still observe the same issue with this new version? 

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

If you tried to reach our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, I'm not sure how that would have directed you to our Facebook page. Can you walk us through how that page directed you to Facebook?

For the drifting, be sure your MAX is on the latest firmware. If that's the case, are you seeing this happen when you activate World Lock on the GoPro Player? 

Hiker

[ New ]

@jefft @mariustanya 

can you, as official gopro employees, please confirm that there should be an improvement in fw 1.4 !

I reported it in last december (5 month ago) and since then many people cinfirmed that issue.

Your advice was/is always, to check the newest firmware/ software.

But why ?

Is this a known issue, and has a developer at gopro clearly reported that there SHOULD BE A FIX !?

Or are you trying to get rid of us customers by telling ervyone the same "support-ping.pong-game"......have you tried this, do you have set this or that......... while knowing exactly tht there is still nothing fixed.....

....you still have not accepted , that you will not survive the meanwhile better chinese competition, without stopping this behaviour.

Hiker

[ New ]

I checked a recent shoot at it did not appear to have the drift. It was a motorcycle ride so there was a lot of movement. I've set up the camera as stationary and I'm testing again. I'll report back in a little bit, at full 5.6k I believe it's about 8 mins between segments.

I think the most frustrating part was that I couldn't find anything in the 4.10 release notes. Was it there and I just missed it?

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]
I don't have the details on all of the individual bug fixes that were included in the latest firmware update. I have tried to replicate the issues you're reporting and I am not able to.

If you are on the latest firmware and are still seeing this issue, reaching out to our Support team directly by phone or by chat is going to be the best way to get your issues addressed and hopefully resolved.
Hiker

[ New ]

Retest and issue still appears.

IMG_7D56C86C374A-1.jpeg

IMG_3725B47F64A2-1.jpeg

Test process: Set up camera on stand. Settings as above. Hit record and wait until enough footage has been captured to split the file (approx 4GB, 8 minutes). Open file in GoPro Player. Play file. Confirm you see the drift.

Software version per my recent post. They all appeared to be at the latest version.

I have reported it to Support but it was not clear if this will reached the right teams.

I appriciate everyone's input and help with this.

Hiker

[ New ]

I just updated to GoPro Player v1.2.0 and retested with same results.

I'm really surprised the support forum doesn't have an escalation path to either front line support or the product managers. My expirence with the Support team was very unsucessful the last time. I guess I can try it again.

Hiker

[ New ]

@jefft 

I can totally confirm the procedure and result like swooshdave did it. I tested it exactly the same way ....with the same result.

So , if you jefft , got a different experience , could you please help us, by doing the exactly same testing as we did, to see , wether it is a hardareproblem with only a few cameras, or it is a softwarebug .

Please set the max , as described, simply on a tripod or whatever stable base on your desktop and start the recording (5,6K) for at least 8-12 min.

Then run through either the OSX gopro-player or the W10-exporter (both stabilisations ON) , and tell us your result......that would really help much !!

could you please be so kind ....

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

Here's a link to a video I shot yesterday afternoon... https://youtu.be/KXVBYBPD4-s

I used GoPro Player 1.2.0 to render the .360 file that was shot on a MAX running the 1.40 firmware. Horizon Level was on. World Lock was off. No other adjustments were made. I can't see any drifting in this other than some movement from the wind moving the MAX on my monopod.

If you are seeing this issue, please try to preview with and without World Lock activated.

Rendered using GoPro Player (Version 1.2.0) with Horizon Level On and World Lock Off.
Hiker

[ New ]

@jefft wrote:

Here's a link to a video I shot yesterday afternoon... https://youtu.be/KXVBYBPD4-s

I used GoPro Player 1.2.0 to render the .360 file that was shot on a MAX running the 1.40 firmware. Horizon Level was on. World Lock was off. No other adjustments were made. I can't see any drifting in this other than some movement from the wind moving the MAX on my monopod.

If you are seeing this issue, please try to preview with and without World Lock activated.

I relooked at a video that was drifting, I turned off World Lock in Player and it stopped.

Is that a bug with World Lock? I assume you are seeing the drifting with World Lock on in GoPro Player?

GoPro Community Manager

[ New ]

I don't have a ton of info about how World Lock works. If I can get more info, I'll post it here. That function is designed for cameras that are in motion, so if your setup is stationary, it's best to turn that feature off.

Hiker

[ New ]

thanks jeff for testing. As Swooshdave mentioned , worldlock is of course always on, because gopro products are meant to be used in action . I noticed that bug for example during a 360 shot of a projectionshow, where I cannot use a tripod , but have to hold the cam on a stick in my hands above me . If worldlock would be of, the footage would be unusable shakey. 

in this case the pov angle is moving for the 20min of the show about 90degrees !!

So one of the main benefits of buying a max, is having this stabilisation , but if it is faulty ....what now !?

Is there honestly anyone at gopro willing and able to fix this ?

Hiker

[ New ]
Interestingly I have noticed the effect when the camera is in motion. Even if the camera is affixed to something like a bike. It’s only when it’s truly not moving and if turning off World Lock in Player works I’m ok with that.

Test it out to confirm.

Here’s my example of a moving camera and no drift.

https://youtu.be/MxUsLBj9kek
Hiker

[ New ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxUsLBj9kek&feature=youtu.be

I forgot this forum doesn’t like the short YouTube URL
Hiker

[ New ]

Or that you can edit or that the posting features work on mobile...

Hiker

[ New ]

it's hard to tell wether the pointer is moving or not in case of a "moving" cam like on your bike.

I did the same test 2 weeks ago during a "corvid-ride" showing completely empty roads of our maincity.

The max was mounted to the roof of my car .

You never can tell what exactly was the original angle at startingpoint, because there is a feature inside, that adjusts the pov supersmooth and slowly in case of very slow movements . So , after a ride with possibly very long turns , the angle will be different .

Next is, that I can reproduce that the movement is accelerating over time .

First chunk of 8 min = about 10-15 degrees

second chunk 8-16min = 15-60 degrees

third chunk = up to 90 degrees and much more.

So using, as explained, the max for steady events is actually a pain ,and results in many postpro activities which are creating tremendous rendertimes for repositioning by special plugins.

Tourist

[ New ]

Having the same problem.

Using Premier Pro for video editing preferably on Mac.

So because of that, I convert the .360 with the GoPro Player app.

And as good as always, the clips has this shifting issue.

Both when looking at them in the app, and when converted and viewed in Premiere Pro.

After reading this thread, I tried to convert the files with the Windows GoPro Max Exporter app.

And what do you know... the shifting was gone!

So, the issue is not with the GoPro Max, but with the GoPro Player app!

GoPro people, please fix this!

Please...

Hiker

[ New ]

wow, thank you, thats very valuable news !!

As soon as I have time next weekend, I will restich one project from january where I got this problem very obviously (as well on a mac).

Thank you very much.....

btw. why is it always us, the customers , who have to find out solutions, meanwhile we get answers from people on behalf of gopro, telling us b.s. about switching of the worldlock a.s.o.

Why are they not testing and investigating theses simple issues , instead of writing propaganda.

We have already paid them...not vice versa.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hmmm...

Did some more conversions, got the friggin shifting back again! :(

Realized that I had turned on Horizon Level and World Lock.

Unchecked these and converted again and tadaa! No shifting!

Strange thing though... the first frame had POV straight up, but the rest was OK.

Could it be this "ghost" frame that cause the problem with the unchecked options checked?

Going to do some more tests tomorrow.

Tourist

[ New ]

OK, more tests done.

Default settings when exporting .360 files:

Horizon Level checked.

World Lock checked.

Have converted same .360 file (the Max mounted stationary on tripod) with all variants of these two checked and unchecked.

The conclusion is that it is the World Lock option that is causing the shifting problem.

Horizon Level has no impact at all.

So, if World Lock is checked the shifting occur.

If it's unchecked, the shifting is gone.

And, it works with the GoPro Player app on Mac as well!

So my previous post where I stated that it just worked with Windows GoPro Max Exporter was wrong!

It just has to do with the World Lock option.

Anyway...

GoPro people, please fix this!

Please!

Hiker

[ New ]

Player software update on May 1. Anyone retest this yet?

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the latest version of both the player and the Max firmware as available to the date. I have been experimenting with timewarp with the Max inside my car and also timelapse while the Max is stationary.

Timewarp inside a the moving car is useless if the worldlock is on as when the vehicle turns the framing keeps pointing to the same direction as it did when the recording started. Fine. Then when turning the worldlock off it seems to work ok, except the framing follows the turns slightly late. Not good.

Timelapse (360) with the worldlock off is useless. The camera is mounted inside a window of a building recording timelapse (video, not stills, haven't tried stills yet), and the frame is wondering around, left, right, up and down. Slightly but noticeably and the material is ruined.

When exporting these with Gopro player (Mac), worldlock off, and editing in fcpx the problem is still there.

So the material I have is quite useless (or requires very much work and sweat in the post, which is not acceptable). Anyone know if this is a problem with the camera or the player app?

Tourist

[ New ]
The problem I has with the shifting disappeard Wheeling I turned of World Lock when I exporten the footage.
Normal mode.
Points to a software issue and not the Max.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, it seems to be software issue since now when I checked the footage from the Max's own screen it's playing just fine. No deviations or shifting of any kind.