Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

POV pointer constantly shifting to the left

If recording longer 360videos, with a MAX, of durations multiple times of 8min, then I can see clearly that the point of view pointer is constantly shifting to the left. That means the scene is slowly but constantly rotating counterclockwise to the left .

This happens to us if exporting the clips on OSX10.14.6 with GoPro-Player 1.0.2

can anyone confirm , or is it possibly fixed in a newer version (without risking any other dramas).

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: POV pointer constantly shifting to the left

This is most likely an issue with the gyro in the camera, I have the same issue with one of my GoPro Fusions.  You may want to reflash the firmware on your camera.  GoPro need to release a calibration tool with their next camera.  Also see if you have an orientation lock or world lock option on your camera.

Highlighted
GoPro

@bluewater86456, we've recently released v1.0.4 for the GoPro Player (macOSX) which includes several bug fixes and improvements. You can find more information about the software updates here: GoPro Player/GoPro MAX Exporter: Release Notes

Highlighted
Hiker

thank you for the hints. I will give it a try tonight.

But for the moment: What is new in 1.0.4 ?

There is absolutely nothing mentioned in the given link, except ..... new fixes and improvements..... what in fact are they ?

I will not risk anything, and crash our system like the "update" of the Win-Exporter did (there has been no way back ...shame on gopro).... and the OSX-Player behaves the same ... updating is a one-way-road ... so I am warned

Highlighted
Hiker

..well, finally i took the risk and upgraded to 1.0.5 (of course not without a prior full image of our system).

(no one answered about the real benefits of the V1.04 / 1.0.5)

And unfortunately , as one could expect, it did not change anything.

The longer recordings (in the meantime i did more of them) still are constantly shifting / rotating to the left .

So, it is not a problem of the desktopsoftware, but more a small failure of the camera itself.

It looks to me that it is, matematically spoken, a chain of errors. Maybe the gyrosensor gives every time a tiny error which is not noticeable in short clips. But the longer the scene is , the more the error is added (frame by frame).

but at least the upgrade did not make anything worse then before, so there is plenty of room for improvement for the developers next year (and we go on producing with our fusion)

merry christmas

Highlighted
Hiker

Happy new year to you all..

let's hope that everyone at gopro is now going on to comply their promises.

In the meantime I found another interesting problem about the slowly leftshifting/leftrotating longer recordings.

The 4ch ambisonics-sound is shifting /rotating as well !!

As , the microphones remain stable all the time (as the whole camera itself), it must be a erroneous calculation by the camera.

As I am reading/extracting the native 4ch audiotrack directly from the *.360files itself, without any goprosoftware, it looks like the 4ch-sound is not the native one recorded by the 4 mics, but it is a precalculated and already (falsely) coded ambisonics track.

So , is there anyone with experience how to edit the WYZX ambisoncs track in an editingsoftware like resolve or (if nothing else works) in premierepro ?

How can I edit the xyz (audio) axis ?

Highlighted
Hiker

I have this same issue with longer videos. Super annoying especially since I have a fixed camera. I'm using the GoPro Player 1.0.5 on Mac. Should be simple to replicate. Just start recording with the camera sitting still and let it go for a while. The footage is split in 8GB chunks. I went for 30 minutes or so. Definitely a bug.
Highlighted
Hiker

I checked playback footage in the camera and it behaves normally. This would indicated a GoPro Player bug.