Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Oversaturated Cartoon Looking video on my Hero 7 Black

I recently had some horribly bad video come out of my GoPro Hero 7 Black.

I'm attaching a still. You can see that the video is oversaturated, and there is no detail in the faces. It looks like a cartoon effect was added, but this is an example of what came right out of the camera. The man's chef jacket and the napkins are supposed to be white. The man's eyes and eyebrows look surreal.

Two different shots of this same setup gave me this cartoon-y effect. All the other footage looked fine.

Why would this happen and how can I avoid it? I couldn't use this video.

Thanks

Bad Cartoon effect.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Oversaturated Cartoon Looking video on my Hero 7 Black

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry to know that. 

May I have the raw file?

You may upload it on dropbox or google drive to avoid decompression. 

Have you tried updating the camera firmware manually?

Here's how: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Thanks!

-Jay 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Nope. The original file is gone.

The jpg does a good job of showing what the file looked like, with the cartoon look and the blue napkins and jacket.

Fortunately we were able to edit around this shot, but I'm afraid of trusting the camera to look normal.

What on earth would cause the camera to do that? Is it the exposure?

I believe that exposure was set by tapping the screen and locking it in.

Since I've been having trouble with the cameras freezing, I've been performing manual upgrades on all my cameras, and I don't believe it ever helps.

Thanks.

-Mark

Highlighted
Anonymous

OOPS... I was mistaken.

I still have the file.

Here's a dropbox link:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wgie4x8mdf1v1o/GH010112.MP4?dl=0

-Mark

Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @Anonymous,

May I know what SD card are you using?

Please make sure that you are using a recommended SD card. 

Also if you could provide the exact settings we can raise this concern to the right department. 

If you are using a recommended SD card and issue still persist please contact our customer support team via phone or chat. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

-Jay

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi @Anonymous! I see that your clip is 1080p. I am acustomed with this problem as I have raised awairness on this forum about it numerous times. I have contacted directly representatives of GoPro but nonetheless, three firmware updates later and this vital (in my opinion) problem is not fixed. Don't worry, it is not you sd card or operation fault. The 1080p quality on hero 7 black just sucks. And I think I have discovered why and why it will probably never get fixed. It is because of hypersmooth. The compression aplied to the footage because of the hypersmooth algorithm makes 1080p footage look like a cartoon with all fine detail lost even in good light. Hero 6 black had amazing 1080p quality and sometimes I regret I have sold it. The only way to improve your clips is to either always film in 2.7k or turn off hypersmooth completely off when filming in 1080p. The quick fix that GoPro could have made is to let us users choose Standard stabilization aka Gopro Hero 6 black stabilization.

@graytree76514 the right department already knows about this from even before the first firmware update. They simply don't know how or don't want to fix it.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks andreis4011 for the candor. If I had known this I could have easily turned off the hypersmooth for this shot.

I understand the desire to keep problems like these close to the vest, however when all I get is "do a manual update" and "which card are you using?" I get frustrated.

Do you know anything about the freezing problem? I've sent my cameras back three times because the camera was freezing up, to the point where I had to remove the battery to get the camera running again. It happened again yesterday on a camera. I wonder if turning off the hypersmooth would keep it from freezing.

I bought the Hero 7 because the hypersmooth looked so amazing. I recommended it to several of my friends and a number of them bought them as well. I'm embarassed that these known faults are out there and GoPro knows about them and won't be forthcoming. I was one of the many that bought a Karma, and had to return it. I want GoPro to succeed. I have a lot invested in these cameras, but this seems like a bad way to treat loyal customers.

Highlighted
Hiker

After the 1.70 update, I have experienced some problems like slow battery drain and freezing or not wanting to turn on. I always do a manual update but there is a catch. Courtesy of another user, I found that following this advice fixed the freezing, and turning on problem: perform a full (not quick) format of your card in the computer. After the full format, copy the update folder and insert it in the GoPro. Let it install the update and after it finished, format the card inside the camera. After you formated the card inside the camera, perform a factory reset of the camera (with the sd card in the camera of course). After it formated, don't connect it to the phone, set the date and time in the camera, make a video, foto, and after that connect it to the phone. It seemed silly to me but for some reason it worked. The slow battery drain when off, sadly, it didn't resolve but one gopro representative on this forum said that it might be because the bluetooth connection might not turn off properly and said to remove the battery, wait 10 sec and put it back in when you want to store it for a longer time. And guess what, it works. Hope that at least this problem will be resolved in the next update (if it will ever come).

I think GoPro reached a peak on this product design architecture, and it squezed every ounce of performance because of hypersmooth (even though it added extra ram) making it a buggy camera.

Unless the Hero 8 is a new brand of camera (different architecture) with a 1 inch sensor (cause low light sucks too), I think it is the last time I would buy a GoPro. I will wait for the DJI Osmo Pocket 2 (btw, soon I will getting the first osmo pocket and sugest in looking at it if you plan to film more interviews like this).