Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

So I have the Hero 7 black, with the 256 Evo Plus. Which is on the recommended list of stuff cards and I'm still having pretty major over heating problems as well as battery drain. This is my first go pro so I'm probably just still needing to get the hang of it. But if anyone can offer any tips or tricks it'd be very much appreciated!?!

Thanks for your time
Highlighted
Tourist

***SD cards sorry
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @crazychris24,

Have you tries resetting the camera and install a new firmware?

Here's how: https://gopro.com/help/articles/how_to/software-update-instructions-for-hero7-cameras

Please make sure to check manual update steps.

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

Can you tell me why I would need to reset the camera in the first place? I didn't manually update I updated through the app when first getting started.
Highlighted
GoPro

Just to start with a clean slate @crazychris24,

After that install a new firmware just to make sure that it is not the firmware that is causing the issue. 

You might want to check the SD card as well.

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

I just got the camera brand new there's no reason why I would need to start from a "clean slate". Can you give me an actual reason why this is happening?
Highlighted
Hiker

You didn't elaborate on what your camera settings are (unless I missed it somewhere), but I'm guessing that you're running some flavor of 4K + some number of other features enabled (60fps or GPS or WiFi or Protune or ....)

If this is the case, then your camera is behaving as designed (NOTE: "correctly" is a different concept from "as designed", and I'm not trying to start a debate about that).  The sensor and the processor generate a ton of heat recording 4K.  The physical form of a GoPro is very poor at dissipating that heat.  A combination of small and plastic is the exact opposite of what you'll find if you go looking at heat sinks in electronic stuff.  Now push it to 4K 60fps, add in the GPS, WiFi, and more processing for Protune and you've gone past what the little GoPro body can deal with over any length of time. 

My camera shuts down due to overheating after ~10 minutes at 4K60 if I have *anything* extra turned on.  It'll run continuously at 4K60 if that's the only thing its doing, but it gets so hot that I know its going to die much sooner than I'd like.  No amount of manual updating and no magic SD card can fix this.  It's a limitation of the silicon technology in the camera, and the form factor that tech is packaged into.  Much larger cameras with bigger sensors and metal bodies have overheating issues at 4K, so I'm not so sure why many here are so hesitant to admit that this is the case, but running users around with BS about SD cards and useless firmware procedures as a smoke-screen is pretty shameful IMHO. 

Run your camera at 1080p.  You'll get great stabilization, great frame rates, decent battery life, and no heat.  If you have to shoot 4K you have two scenarios:  1.  If you can manage with <10 min long shots you can shoot anything you like up to 4K60 and just live with the heat.  2.  If you need longer shots than this, you'll need to start turning stuff off - my suggestion would be to drop down to 30fps 1st and go from there.  

Highlighted
Tourist

i purchased a gp7 shortly after it was released and noticed shortly thereafter that it had overheating issues.  i tried the reset, the manual firmware update, etc. none of it worked. i ended up rma'ing the gp7 and had it replaced. still the same issue. the hero 7 essentially shuts down after about 30-40 minutes of recording for me. i have measured the metal part of the lens with an infrared thermometer. this area acts as a heatsink for the unit. it reached appx 140 degrees fahrenheit before shutting down. 

bottom line is i don't believe gopros are designed to capture long videos. they're really more for short clips or <10 minutes as someone pointed out. it's an excellent device if you adapt to the limitations.