Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Overheating GoPro 7

@robert1326 let me pretend GP admin or some puppets:

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are sure you are using very wrong SD card, we are sure because every evil at this planet is cause of bad sd card.

Very very bad card very very bad user.

PS: I am using Sandisk card which they gave with camera and are issues are excatly the same like on Samsung Card which is not at the official list of "right sdcards"

Highlighted
Backpacker

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Overheating GoPro 7 - Sandisk Extreme Plus 128GB microSDXC Class 10 U3

2.7k/30x/Wide "TimeWarp Video"

GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted on car dashboard, facing forward.

External temperature (outside of car) ranging from 59F to 73F

Internal car temperature around 70F

Filming on drive from Vegas to Los Angeles, from about 10am - 3pm

First overheat at around 43 minutes.

Second overheat at around 30 minutes.

Third overheat at around 10 minutes.

Fourth overheat at around 10 minutes.

Last stretch on the way home was overcast, lasted 59 minutes, no overheat.

My guess was that direct sunlight is what killed it, but this is a severe defect for an action camera.  I'm simply not going to be able to limit my video capture to cloudy days, or arctic conditions.

I simply cannot recommend the Hero Black 7 with this current limitation - it's got great features that are effectively unreliable under typical weather conditions.  Might be fine for snowboarding videos, but I can't rely on any of its features on a typical, sunny day.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

I've managed to use my GoPro Hero 7 in Abu Dhabi for the last 3 months or so, including taking some photos and video footage at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, on a 6 Hr Bike ride across the UAE in direct sunlight and with several beach occasions.  No issues so far.  I am aware that there are issues with the battery charge and also the device does warm up when charging (for me anyway), but I'm considering buying an external USB charging point for the batteries instead of using the in-device charge facility. 

Just wanted to add - as it might be an issue with your specific device? 

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks @dcraggs - you're absolutely right, I shouldn't assume that this is just normal behavior.

I imagine that the bike ride might have worked in direct sunlight with the air-cooling that was happening as you drove along, but I should go ahead and open a ticket with gopro anyway, just in case it is a device issue.

Highlighted
Backpacker

Highlighted
Tourist

Same here gets veryvry hot where it turns itself off. I changed my settings like tuern off after 30 mins and no luck

@grandsand54134 wrote:

My new GoPro 7 overheats And gets red Hot, turning itself off, I have updated the software and tried new micro sd cards, even tried running it at night. Plus as it overheats it will not run long?

Highlighted
GoPro

Please see information on your other post @rapidriver51316

Thanks!